Question Gaming PC parts advice

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jackgreat

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Hello Everyone,

I wish to upgrade my home PC. I use my home PC for gaming and a bit of software development. Even though I do not find a lot of time for gaming but at time I do like to play my favorite titles such as Far Cry, Crysis, Metro etc. Basically I like FPS games with great graphics.

My current PC build is:

• i5 3rd Gen
  • 8 GB DDR3
  • Samgung Evo SSD
  • Cooler Master PSU (I will check exact model)
  • Geforce GTX 970
  • Windows 7

I am from India and here the PC components are expensive (compared to the US). However I have a relative who is coming from the US. Thus I wanted to upgrade now so that he could get the components from there for me.

My thoughts:

I need to order the following :
  • Processor
  • RAM
  • Graphics card
  • Motherboard

Please suggest me what should I go for. I am more of an Intel guy than AMD.

Thank you,

Regards,
Jack

jackgreat

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Qty.Product DescriptionSavings
Total Price
1​
$34.99
1​
$134.99
1​
$89.99
1​
$264.99
1​
$279.99

Grand Total:
$804.95​

jackgreat

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
The memory timings are slow. You want 14 cas latency. Everything else seems fine.

Which one should I go for ? How is this G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200). Cas latency 15.

OR CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) : Cas latency 14 but sped is 2400.

PCPartPicker Part List
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($145.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $145.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-03 08:54 EDT-0400
Paying $146 for slightly better CAS latency doesn't seem worth the cost compared to the 16GB DDR4-3000/3200 kits that you can get for under $100, especially in a build where one is looking at more mid-range graphics cards. In a gaming system, you are likely better off putting that extra $50 toward graphics hardware, unless the graphics card is already rather high-end. Moving from a 1660 Ti to a 2060 is likely to get you around 15-20% higher frame rates, whereas the faster RAM won't increase frame rates by anywhere near that much, and only in CPU-limited scenarios. With mid-range cards, performance is likely to be graphics limited most of the time, so more money should arguably be put toward the graphics card, and perhaps less toward the CPU, motherboard and RAM.

Paying $146 for slightly better CAS latency doesn't seem worth the cost compared to the 16GB DDR4-3000/3200 kits that you can get for under $100, especially in a build where one is looking at more mid-range graphics cards. In a gaming system, you are likely better off putting that extra $50 toward graphics hardware, unless the graphics card is already rather high-end. Moving from a 1660 Ti to a 2060 is likely to get you around 15-20% higher frame rates, whereas the faster RAM won't increase frame rates by anywhere near that much, and only in CPU-limited scenarios. With mid-range cards, performance is likely to be graphics limited most of the time, so more money should arguably be put toward the graphics card, and perhaps less toward the CPU, motherboard and RAM.
I understand where you're coming from to a certain extent. Building my own Ryzen system was a big deal to me because I don't build computers for myself often. At the time I researched how much Ryzen benefited from fast memory so I purchased one of the best 3200mhz samsung b-die memory kits at 14 cas latency I could find. I didn't want to purchase slower memory and have that sitting in the back of my head, but to each his own. If I didn't do the research and purchased cheap CAS 16 latency memory, I wouldn't have realized there were faster timings until after purchasing. I personally would have had buyers remorse so I like to let people know so they can make an informed decision.

Last edited: