[SOLVED] Gaming PC parts- Use or start anew?

mandigo1

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011
Hi,
I have the following parts from my old gaming PC:

Graphics card- Radon HD5750
Motherboard- ASI 970A-G46
Processor- Core I5
Power supply (I think its 500)
G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR
Couple of fans
water cooling Case (though never have cooled it)
Monitor
keyboard
mouse

I don't do PC gaming, so I am at a loss of what you actually need to play the newer games. My son wants a gaming PC and I am trying to build him a decent machine, while not breaking the bank.
From a quick look up it seems that the motherboard may still be decent, but the I5 and graphics card will be useless.
Opinions? Should I keep these parts ( I would maybe have to ditch the power supply and up the memory) or just ditch them and start anew?
If so, what processor/graphics card would I need to do the game graphics on at least a normal resolution?
Thanks
Cybelle

Last edited:
Solution
Thanks.. unfortunately thats what I thought.

Unfortunately, everything's very old in this machine. Also a bit confusing in that you gave an Intel CPU and an AMD motherboard, but it's a moot issue since everything's about a decade old.

Incremental upgrades are possible -- a buddy of mine has evolved the same build since the mid-90s without ever replacing everything at once -- but the last point at which it made any sense at all to start incrementally upgrading this PC was probably somewhere around 2014/2015. It's realistically way too late for it to make sense to gradually upgrade this machine.

If you were to do so, you'd probably have to start with the 10-year-old mystery power supply. A modern GPU would struggle to do much...
Hi,
I have the following parts from my old gaming PC:

Graphics card- Radon HD5750
Motherboard- ASI 970A-G46
Processor- Core I5
Power supply (I think its 500)
G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR
Couple of fans
water cooling Case (though never have cooled it)
Monitor
keyboard
mouse

I don't do PC gaming, so I am at a loss of what you actually need to play the newer games. My son wants a gaming PC and I am trying to build him a decent machine, while not breaking the bank.
From a quick look up it seems that the motherboard may still be decent, but the I5 and graphics card will be useless.
Opinions? Should I keep these parts ( I would maybe have to ditch the power supply and up the memory) or just ditch them and start anew?
If so, what processor/graphics card would I need to do the game graphics on at least a normal resolution?
Thanks
Cybelle
Start a new build.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Thanks.. unfortunately thats what I thought.

Unfortunately, everything's very old in this machine. Also a bit confusing in that you gave an Intel CPU and an AMD motherboard, but it's a moot issue since everything's about a decade old.

Incremental upgrades are possible -- a buddy of mine has evolved the same build since the mid-90s without ever replacing everything at once -- but the last point at which it made any sense at all to start incrementally upgrading this PC was probably somewhere around 2014/2015. It's realistically way too late for it to make sense to gradually upgrade this machine.

If you were to do so, you'd probably have to start with the 10-year-old mystery power supply. A modern GPU would struggle to do much when paired with the old CPU/MB/RAM and vice-versa, so it only really makes sense to replace all of those at one time. Any hard drives from that time period are also likely at the end of their useful lives and even the monitor may be something you want to upgrade, depending on the GPU chosen.

In other words, everything except the keyboard, mouse, and maybe the monitor and/or case needs to be replaced. That's essentially a new build.

Reactions: mandigo1
Solution

mandigo1

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011

If you were to do so, you'd probably have to start with the 10-year-old mystery power supply. A modern GPU would struggle to do much when paired with the old CPU/MB/RAM and vice-versa, so it only really makes sense to replace all of those at one time. Any hard drives from that time period are also likely at the end of their useful lives and even the monitor may be something you want to upgrade, depending on the GPU chosen.

In other words, everything except the keyboard, mouse, and maybe the monitor and/or case needs to be replaced. That's essentially a new build.
Thanks :( Makes sense, I built this back in 2009. I looked up the CPU and its an old I5-750 black.