Groblidor

Commendable
May 16, 2021
okay so ive been so confused with my gaming pc I just feel like its been under performing when i play games and its kinda upsetting me. i feel like my pc isnt bad but ive been thinking about buying a new gpu and maybe thatll help. i cant even play hogwarts legacy cause it stutters so much or ill barely even get 60fps at times. alan wake 2 is barely playable and same with most of these games. i dont play on ultra settings sometimes im turning my settings on low or medium and it just doesnt play how i want it to play. not to mention i dont ever play with rtx on.
system specs
- AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor 3.60 GHz
-Installed RAM 24.0 GB
-motherboard ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
-GPU RTX 2080 SUPER

i dont know too much about pc's but i just dont know if mine should run this badly, especially if im meeting the system requirements to even play the game. its not just those games i listed as well i feel like with most other games i play its bad too

Groblidor

Commendable
May 16, 2021
Yeah, check ram speed with Cpuz. Memory frequency under memory tab is what they're running at, doesn't account for double data rate so times it by two.
it says my frequency is
DRAM Frequency:1066.4 MHz
how would i know which RAM is mismatched?

it says my frequency is
DRAM Frequency:1066.4 MHz
how would i know which RAM is mismatched?
Your RAM has to be mismatched or not fully installed as you have 24GB, which means you either have one 8GB plus one 16GB stick, or 3X8GB sticks installed which means the 4th is missing. Your RAM frequency is running very slow, which suggests the memory controller is having issues with your RAM.
Getting a matched set of RAM and enabling XMP in the BIOS would really speed up your PC.

Reactions: Groblidor

Groblidor

Commendable
May 16, 2021
Your RAM has to be mismatched or not fully installed as you have 24GB, which means you either have one 8GB plus one 16GB stick, or 3X8GB sticks installed which means the 4th is missing. Your RAM frequency is running very slow, which suggests the memory controller is having issues with your RAM.
Getting a matched set of RAM and enabling XMP in the BIOS would really speed up your PC.
Selecting slots in Cpuz spd tab will tell ya what's what. Number 1 slot is closest to cpu.
okay so slot 1 info
Max Bandwidth DDR4-3200 (1600 MHz)
slot 2 info
DDR4-2998 (1499 MHz)
slot 3 info
DDR4-2988 (1499 MHz)

i originally had a 4th stick of RAM but at one point that extra stick kept making my pc randomly shut off when i had 4 sticks in there so i threw it away lol.
so should i just take out the slot 1 RAM?

okay so slot 1 info
Max Bandwidth DDR4-3200 (1600 MHz)
slot 2 info
DDR4-2998 (1499 MHz)
slot 3 info
DDR4-2988 (1499 MHz)

i originally had a 4th stick of RAM but at one point that extra stick kept making my pc randomly shut off when i had 4 sticks in there so i threw it away lol.
so should i just take out the slot 1 RAM?
Yes, take out 1 RAM stick. Make sure there is a single gap between the 2 remaining sticks....It's usual to use the 2nd and 4th slots away from the CPU, you want to do this to get dual channel, otherwise you lose performance again. Also, in BIOS, make sure XMP is enabled.

Aug 2, 2023
Just to clarify.

While it's usualy far from ideal, you can have three modules installed - obviously when they're perfect - and not always its a bad thing.

I know it's not your case, but only for reference. You can have a perfect Dual Channel Mode with 16GB in one channel and 8+8 in other channel. Channels (you cand have 1 or 2 depending on motherboard) need the same memory size for Dual Channel Mode works.

But, in your case, 24GB using three 8GB modules. 16GB in a channel, 8GB in other channel. So you have 16GB in Dual Channel Mode and other 8GB in Single Channel Mode.

And, in this case, it's not ideal or recommended for gaming. As soon as the system needs to allocate more than 16GB, part of this information will be in a bottleneck generated by the Single Channel transfer data, which tends to be quite severe in games like Hogwartz.

But maybe you still have a faulty memory, since you mentioned that removing a module have fixed BSODs.

How about taking screeshots of the CPUz? It would be easier to understand what frequency your memories are running at and how they are configured.

Your are mixing and matching ram. These problems you have are from that. Ideally get yourself a 2 x8 or 2 x 16gb 3200mhz CL14 DIMMs. When you run in Dual channel mode, and at right speed, you will see a big boost in FPS.

You can use CPU-z to tell what speed the ram is running at and whether it's in dual channel or not.

TRENDING THREADS