[SOLVED] Gaming PC randomly restarts - Not the PSU

Mar 15, 2021
Hi all. I have a question regarding troubleshooting some issues my friend is having. I built them the PC about a year ago, I don't remember the specific specs apart from the fact it has a GTX 1660 Super, a Seasonic 550W PSU, 16GB Corsair Vengance RAM and a Ryzen of some kind. No overclocking has been done, all stock, good cooler and all high end components.

The other day she was playing a game (GW2) and the computer randomly restarted; no freezing, crash log, nothing. Since then it happened a couple of times, only when running intensive games like GW2 and not games like Stardew Valley or during normal work (MS Word etc). More recently, it happens even when logging in.

I updated all drivers and Windows 10.
I stress tested it remotely today (good old COVID) with Prime95 and it ran perfectly fine for thirty minutes, as it did when I first built it.

I then ran FurMark with the native res, fullscreen and 2x msaa and it crashed instantly (she was watching the screen), no freezing, nothing. When it restarted, it restarted on the login screen a couple of times. I tried again with lowest res, windowed mode, and it ran fine, load on the GPU at 98%, temps only up to 78 degrees after 20 minutes. I stopped the test and went up to the next resolution, windowed, and it died again.

I just led her through changing the PSU for a new one (over video chat), and it booted up fine, ran the game for 15 minutes, ran FurMark for 15 minutes and everything seemed perfect. I got her to close up the case, put it back in the home office and told her to play some games for a bit. Then yet again, it randomly restarts and even restarts before the login screen now; it always gets past the BIOS. Does anyone else have any ideas on what to do? I am really stumped. Is it possible the motherboard, GPU or CPU has become effective over a year later?

I'd really, really appreciate any help here!
Thanks!

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
New PSU: make, model, wattage?

Drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the restarts.

Double check by sight and feel that all cards, cables/connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly seated.

Mar 15, 2021
New PSU: make, model, wattage?

Drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the restarts.

Double check by sight and feel that all cards, cables/connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly seated.

Hi!

Seasonic Focus GX-550W
Drives: Intel 660p SSD

Currently, the PC restarts at login screen and I cannot get to Windows to check logs.

Mar 15, 2021
Will the system boot into safe mode?

Change POST settings to be as verbose as possible - you may catch something there.

Likewise, if possible, pull the GPU and try using iGPU. Motherboard?

So I am not actually present with the machine, I'm leading my GF over video call to do things and she is quite computer illiterate (was impressed she replaced the PSU!). Removing the GPU isn't an option for a few more weeks because of this, so if we could isolate any other possibilities that would be awesome.

At the moment, it is stuck in a loop of Booting to Asus ROG POST screen, going to Windows, login, restarting and repeating this cycle UNTIL it reaches the Windows Repair screen, it doesn't die on Windows repair screen, when she selects 'restart' in place of repair, it does the same. Do you think this points to a driver issue?

The mobo is an Asus b450

Thanks again for your help mate

Mar 15, 2021
Will the system boot into safe mode?

Change POST settings to be as verbose as possible - you may catch something there.

Likewise, if possible, pull the GPU and try using iGPU. Motherboard?
She is now in Windows recovery mode, which does not force a restart. I'm going to try and see if she can restore Windows to an earlier version and rule an update out

EDIT: Couldn't update, restore point was corrupt

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021
"Removing the GPU isn't an option for a few more weeks " - why?

Only asking because pulling GPU is much more straightforward than replacing a PSU.

Noted: "mobo is an Asus b450 "

CPU = Ryzen ????
Sorry for the late reply, been at work all day. So she removed the GPU, but she has the Ryzen 3600 which does not have iGPU. The issue persists after reseating the GPU. Any other courses of action? I'd really, really appreciate some help!