Question Gaming PC - Short Periodic Freezes

Mar 24, 2019
Hello everyone,

I am dealing with a situation with my computer where I am getting these short 5 or so second freezes. It may happen once every 30 minutes to an hour. I have been running MSI After burner and it looks like during the freezes, GPU usage %, FB usage %, Core clock MHz, and Memory Clock drop when the freeze occurs. I have tried running other forms of tests such as userbenchmark and furmark (nothing really stood out). Some other things I have done is:
-checked event viewer (no errors stood out)
-changed pc to a different power surge to check for power issues (no changes)
-checked antivirus (no changes).
-Replaced motherboard (due to another issue)

The only thing that has really stood out is my memory under performed during the userbenchmark test. Does anyone have any advice on other things I can try to identify the root cause of the issue? benchmark test and build are listed below

Intel i7 - 9700k 3.6 GHz processor
ASRock z390 Phantom Gaming SLI/ac ATX LGA 1151 motherboard
G.Skill Aegis 16GB (2x8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Crucial MX500 1 TB M.2 2280 SSD
EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB Black Video Card
EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650 w 80+ Gold

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/15740432

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019
Huh, looks like i have similar rig and similar issue. Tried clean win install at first it was fixed, bu after a while -it came back. I get very short freezes. Sometimes they are like 2 sec. And sometimes like fractions of seconds. Now im puzzled. I’ll repeat the clean install on the second drive and also will clean install drivers with ddu. Wonder if this something might be with rtx card. Had no such issue until upgraded my gpu

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2019
If anyone has some diagnostics issues for is, how to find out what part of hardware or software is failing id really appreciate it.
Not positive but I think I figured it out. I went to power settings and changed to high performance. Within the power settings, I hit the drop down box for hard drive and changed the number from 20 to 9999. Not positive this fixed it, but I haven’t had a similar freeze in two days.

Mar 28, 2019
Not positive but I think I figured it out. I went to power settings and changed to high performance. Within the power settings, I hit the drop down box for hard drive and changed the number from 20 to 9999. Not positive this fixed it, but I haven’t had a similar freeze in two days.

What do you mean about the hard drive? Nvidia control panel or windows power settings?

Mar 24, 2019
Windows power and sleep settings. Once there go to advanced settings. Honestly, I’m not sure why it appears to have fixed it. I changed to high performance earlier on, but the fix was changing the hard drive sleep setting from 20 to 9999.

Hopefully this fixed my issue, but may be too early to tell. You could also try downloading HWInfo64. It gives you a lot of information on what’s going on with your hardware. You can start a log and it will check your voltage and various settings on what occurred during the freeze.
What do you mean about the hard drive? Nvidia control panel or windows power settings?

Windows power and sleep settings. Once there go to advanced settings. Honestly, I’m not sure why it appears to have fixed it. I changed to high performance earlier on, but the fix was changing the hard drive sleep setting from 20 to 9999.

Hopefully this fixed my issue, but may be too early to tell. You could also try downloading HWInfo64. It gives you a lot of information on what’s going on with your hardware. You can start a log and it will check your voltage and various settings on what occurred during the freeze.

Reactions: Makaron