Question Gaming PC Still FPS Lagging in Games

Apr 9, 2020
Hi, a year ago, I decided to build a gaming PC, got all the components and bought a GTX 1060 6gb but I had a i3 4th gen CPU, but most games still lagged, such as Fortnite and Rainbow Six Siege had a constant fps below 60, sometimes peaking at around 70.
I looked online and it said that it was cause of my GPU was bottle necking cause of my CPU, so I ended up getting a i7 4770, I saw a bit of improvement, but it still wasn't much, I'm surprised when I look online, and people with the same specs as me get much over a 100 FPS in such games.
I would like to know the reason to this, if you could help me, that would be great. Thanks

- PC SPECS -
GPU - GTX 1060 6GB
CPU - Intel i7 4770
Ram - 8GB
Operating System - Windows 10 (64 bit)

- FPS IN GAMES (In game avg.) -
League of Legends - 50-90 FPS
Fortnite - 40-90 FPS
Rainbow Six Siege - 30-70
COD Warzone - 40-60
COD Black Ops - 50-120

P.S these are just the average FPS I get constantly, not the minimum or maximum.

Apr 9, 2020
I used to run Rainbow six siege at a constant 80-110 on a 1050ti.
Try tweaking settings or it might be ram that is the issue. I used to have 16gb of 2400mhz.

Siege can be fixed by using the Vulkan engine but I'm not sure about the other games.
Warzone is a fairly demanding game however LoL isn't. I'm not sure but maybe boosting the ram up to 16gb may help in some cases or getting faster ram.

Also, you do have all of the correct drivers installed yea?

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020
I used to run Rainbow six siege at a constant 80-110 on a 1050ti.
Try tweaking settings or it might be ram that is the issue. I used to have 16gb of 2400mhz.

Siege can be fixed by using the Vulkan engine but I'm not sure about the other games.
Warzone is a fairly demanding game however LoL isn't. I'm not sure but maybe boosting the ram up to 16gb may help in some cases or getting faster ram.

Also, you do have all of the correct drivers installed yea?
Oh ok I'll try upgrading my ram, and yes, I have the right drivers installed (updated).

Apr 9, 2020
You may not see a massive improvement but however running a dual-channel kit will definitely show with smoother FPS and a boost on some games.

Then again, getting dual-channel 16gb of RAM will definitely give you a few extra frames and it won't jump around as often. You will have overall smoother performance and your FPS shouldn't jump around from extremely high's to extremely low's

Plus, if you upgrade your RAM now, you won't have to touch your RAM for many more systems to come unless you want more/faster RAM. 16GB should be the enough for a long time as that's the golden number for RAM in gaming setups.

There's nothing wrong with your build but I'd say get 16GB of dual-channel RAM and see what happens.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020
You may not see a massive improvement but however running a dual-channel kit will definitely show with smoother FPS and a boost on some games.

Then again, getting dual-channel 16gb of RAM will definitely give you a few extra frames and it won't jump around as often. You will have overall smoother performance and your FPS shouldn't jump around from extremely high's to extremely low's

Plus, if you upgrade your RAM now, you won't have to touch your RAM for many more systems to come unless you want more/faster RAM. 16GB should be the enough for a long time as that's the golden number for RAM in gaming setups.

There's nothing wrong with your build but I'd say get 16GB of dual-channel RAM and see what happens.
Oh ok, I'll look into that, because I'm confused, I searched online and people with the same specs as mine (but they had 16gb ram) were running games smoothly at 100+ fps while recording.

Apr 9, 2020
Oh ok, I'll look into that, because I'm confused, I searched online and people with the same specs as mine (but they had 16gb ram) were running games smoothly at 100+ fps while recording.

Yea, getting an upgrade on ram will help you reach higher FPS either way but It doesn't really matter if you have a single 60hz monitor. I'm hoping you have at least a 144hz monitor to make it a difference.

Apr 9, 2020
Yea, getting an upgrade on ram will help you reach higher FPS either way but It doesn't really matter if you have a single 60hz monitor. I'm hoping you have at least a 144hz monitor to make it a difference.
Right now I have a 60hz moniter, but I'm planning to upgrade to 144hz quite soon, but I just want to make sure my PC can run games pretty smoothly otherwise the 144hz wouldn't be of much use.

And also how people said that its better having 2 ram strips instead of one, right now I have 2 4gb ram strips, but how would my performance do if I get one 16gb ddr4 ram strip, and keep one of my 4gb ram strips, so increasing my ram to 20gb ?

Apr 9, 2020
Right now I have a 60hz moniter, but I'm planning to upgrade to 144hz quite soon, but I just want to make sure my PC can run games pretty smoothly otherwise the 144hz wouldn't be of much use.

And also how people said that its better having 2 ram strips instead of one, right now I have 2 4gb ram strips, but how would my performance do if I get one 16gb ddr4 ram strip, and keep one of my 4gb ram strips, so increasing my ram to 20gb ?
And can DDR3 and DDR4 ram go together? since I'm using DDR3 8gb ram right now, but if I get the 16gb DDR4, will I be able to also add the 4gb?

Shay Green

Prominent
Feb 17, 2020
Yeah I just realised that, whats the difference in performance DDR3 and DDR4, like 16gb DDR3 vs DDR4. How much FPS would differ?
Nothing really but I dont think you are able to get DDR4 unless you get a newer motherboard and processor on newer architecture.
The performance is minimalist between them
DDR4 can have higher RAM capacity's and a lower voltage

Apr 9, 2020
Hey, I just got a 144hz monitor and also upgraded my ram to 12gb, but I still don't see a increase in performance. The benchmarks are pretty much still the same.. Any way to change that?