Question Gaming PC tripping breaker after a few hours?

CBJ023

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2013
Hey guys been having an issue with the breaker in my house tripping while using my gaming pc. Been running the same set up for a few months and all of a sudden the breaker is starting to trip. Usually it doesn't trip until after about 1.5-2hrs of gaming. Nothing load bearing is on the circuit other then the PC, the breaker is 15 amps and only seeing 3.5a pulled when pc, a light and fan are on. Have swapped the breaker and the next day went 5hrs with no issues, then two days later it's tripping again. . Have also tried a different outlet.

The breaker is a Square D Arc Fault breaker so I'm wondering if it reads a false arc from the pc and pops the breaker? One thread I read suggested that could be an issue and that running it through a UPS would fix it. Thoughts?

PSU is a EVGA NEX SUPERNOVA 750B

Not sure if psu is the right category for this but seemed like the closest since it's PSU related

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Either the PSU is failing, or your problem lies elsewhere (the outlet itself, the cable from the PSU to the wall, or the breaker itself).

If you can, run an extension cord from an outlet that is not on the same circuit, and see if the issue is repeatable. If it trips an alternate breaker, the issue sits with the PSU or the cord. Easy fixes if it is.
If the issue doesn't repeat though, you've got an electrical issue somewhere (outlet or breaker), and you should call an electrician.

CBJ023

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2013
Just read another forum post from 2014 with a similiar issue and they have the same psu. I've checked the voltages in the 24pin and all come back within tolerance, but that's under no load.

My thinking is if it was the PSU I would think I would notice issues with the pc, or the pc would shut off before the breaker trips? I did buy it used so maybe I'll just swap it and see what happens.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
PSUs can be funny things to diagnose. It's not a great unit, but it's not a fire hazard either. Try another circuit, that should tell you all you need to know. If the PSU does it there, then it's the consistent (or you've got a much bigger problem).

Hey guys been having an issue with the breaker in my house tripping while using my gaming pc. Been running the same set up for a few months and all of a sudden the breaker is starting to trip. Usually it doesn't trip until after about 1.5-2hrs of gaming. Nothing load bearing is on the circuit other then the PC, the breaker is 15 amps and only seeing 3.5a pulled when pc, a light and fan are on. Have swapped the breaker and the next day went 5hrs with no issues, then two days later it's tripping again. . Have also tried a different outlet.

The breaker is a Square D Arc Fault breaker so I'm wondering if it reads a false arc from the pc and pops the breaker? One thread I read suggested that could be an issue and that running it through a UPS would fix it. Thoughts?

PSU is a EVGA NEX SUPERNOVA 750B

Not sure if psu is the right category for this but seemed like the closest since it's PSU related

You tried it on a different outlet on the same circuit or different circuit within the same house?

A UPS won't fix this unless it's a really expensive online UPS. 99% of consumer grade UPS are called "line interactive" and the PSU only runs off power from the UPS until switched over to battery power.

CBJ023

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2013
You tried it on a different outlet on the same circuit or different circuit within the same house?

A UPS won't fix this unless it's a really expensive online UPS. 99% of consumer grade UPS are called "line interactive" and the PSU only runs off power from the UPS until switched over to battery power.

Same circuit. Next nearby circuit is also a Arc fault. I'll try it on that circuit but I think it will pop it as well, it seems like it's something to do with the arc detection and the pc. I've heard some things about not using a surge protector on these circuits because of amp leakage but don't know how true that is either.

Same circuit. Next nearby circuit is also a Arc fault. I'll try it on that circuit but I think it will pop it as well, it seems like it's something to do with the arc detection and the pc. I've heard some things about not using a surge protector on these circuits because of amp leakage but don't know how true that is either.

If it happens on another circuit, the PSU is failing. Replace it before it dies completely.

It's an older, cheaper PSU; so I wouldnt be completely surprised.

Reactions: Barty1884