Question Gaming PC under $600

Astralv

Distinguished
Hey there

I am considering to build gaming PC under $600. My 15 years old playing Steam games and Mind Craft. He currently has Hasswell 4770K based computer which has minor issues but it works. We moving to another house and he needs to keep his old computer at his old house as he will be staying there on some days and have another computer at his new location. Due to moving, renovation and starting all over we have too many expanses and budget is very limited. We have several Intel builds, and I would prefer Intel system, but if there is better performing AMD option in this price range, I would look in to it, also I built at least 5 intel systems but never AMD and would have to research all the details. What would you recommend? Thank you.

Jimcuchim

Reputable
Feb 25, 2019
  • Vivo V06
    mATX tower, comes with 2 fans, front USB 3.0 & 3.5mm audio jacks.
    View
  • ASRock B450M Pro4
    AM4 socket/B450 chipset mATX motherboard. Equipped with 8x USB and 4x SATA + 1x M.2, built in audio and integrated ethernet.
    View
  • AMD R5 2600
    6-core/12-thread 3.9GHz 2nd generation AMD Ryzen CPU. Comes with a Wraith Stealth CPU cooler.
    View
  • PowerColor RX 580 (8GB)
    8GB GDDR5 VRAM, good cooling, great 1080p performance.
    View
  • EVGA 500 BQ 80+ Bronze
    500W 80+ Bronze semi-modular power supply. Comes with a 3-year warranty.
    View
  • 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 RAM
    2x4GB sticks of 2666MHz DDR4 RAM. Adding more ram is completely possible!
    View
  • Kingston A400 480GB SSD
    3.5 inch, 7200 RPM, 64MB cache, quiet & reliable!
    View

Astralv

Distinguished
Can you list your current system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Just so we're not suggesting something similar(albeit in a new skin). You might also want to read through this thread and update your post with the necessary information for us to move forward.
Thank you for your reply. Which system? lol. Did not want to make it complicated as I do have 4 builds- Ivy Bridge 3770K, 2X Hasswell 4770K systems and Kaby Lake 7770K system.
In 2014 we built 2 Hasswels 4770K systems- for me and my son. My other 2 systems are for audio production. I am very tempted to give him MY Hasswel system for new house and build something new for me, but I should be good mother and give my child the best: after all- I dont play video games. And my Hasswell is working strong for Internet purposes.
He is keeping this system at the old house, so I would not likely want to take it apart to reuse parts.

I am Asus fan, all my systems built with mostly Asus parts and I can understand their BIOS the best.

So my Son't Hasswell:

Intell 4770K 3.5Mhz
Asus Pro Z87 Motherboard
Corsair 16 Gb DDR3
AMD graphics card- it was at $250 price range in like 2015- it was R7 or R9- one of those when they switched from 7770-7970 numbering to R7 and R9.
SSD for C drive and Seagate for D drive.
800 Bronze PSU.

Thank you very much.

Astralv

Distinguished
You are in the USA, I presume? Do you live near a Microcenter? Do you need a monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc?
We are in US. No Microcenter near. We buy computer parts from NewEgg. We can find monitors and peripherals.
I also wondering- how Computech will affect it? Isn't it at the end of May? We can probably wait until then, hopefully new things will be released soon. I was not following Intel/AMD wars closely and not sure if Intel is still the best value for gaming. Thank you.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
We are in US. No Microcenter near. We buy computer parts from NewEgg. We can find monitors and referrals.
I also wondering- how Computech will affect it? Isn't it at the end of May? We cab probably wait until then, hopefully new things will be released soon. I was not following Intel/AMD wars closely and not sure if Intel is still the best value for gaming. Thank you.

AMD tends to be the most bang for the buck. For a long time, the AMD CPUs just weren't that competitive from about 2011 to the release of Ryzen in early 2017 and there wasn't any real motivation to an AMD build for gaming.

Ryzen's changed that quite a bit. The single-core strength is now competitive with Intel and while Intel will still outperforme AMD at the higher-end, at the budget range, I would absolutely recommend an AMD build. If you're waiting until the end-of-May I'd wait an dsee what happens with pricing, both good and bad. Hopefully good.

Astralv

Distinguished
  • Vivo V06
    mATX tower, comes with 2 fans, front USB 3.0 & 3.5mm audio jacks.
    View
  • ASRock B450M Pro4
    AM4 socket/B450 chipset mATX motherboard. Equipped with 8x USB and 4x SATA + 1x M.2, built in audio and integrated ethernet.
    View
  • AMD R5 2600
    6-core/12-thread 3.9GHz 2nd generation AMD Ryzen CPU. Comes with a Wraith Stealth CPU cooler.
    View
  • PowerColor RX 580 (8GB)
    8GB GDDR5 VRAM, good cooling, great 1080p performance.
    View
  • EVGA 500 BQ 80+ Bronze
    500W 80+ Bronze semi-modular power supply. Comes with a 3-year warranty.
    View
  • 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 RAM
    2x4GB sticks of 2666MHz DDR4 RAM. Adding more ram is completely possible!
    View
  • Kingston A400 480GB SSD
    3.5 inch, 7200 RPM, 64MB cache, quiet & reliable!
    View
Thank you for recommendation. Wow- I have no clue about AMD stuff. Like I have no idea what socket is good what socket is bad. With Intel, I know difference between motherboard types, I know I would need Z style motherboard. With AMD- I can't weight my options against of each other- I would have to re-learn everything again.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Generally speaking, with Ryzen, X motherboards are the high-end with overclocking and multi-GPU options (not that you really want to use the latter option in 2019). B motherboards are the middle-class and allow overclocking. The A motherboards are the budget ones. Generally speaking, the B motherboards are the mainstream recommendation and there's usually not as much need to move to a X motherboard the same way there are a lot of reasons in Intel to move to a Z motherboard.

The new Ryzen processors will probably not be available for purchase until July at the earliest (based on available rumors.) Here is a build for you to consider slightly over budget. The Intel 9400F is probably Intel's best value processor right now. A generic GPU was only $10 cheaper, so I thought it was worth the extra $10 for the Asus. The PSU and GPU require Newegg coupons. Let me know if you need them. You have to already be signed up for Newegg emails to use them. Usually I would add another storage device, but since this is primarily for gaming, I though one would be OK.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-9400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($167.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - B365 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($95.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: OLOy - 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($76.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel - 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($61.37 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus - Radeon RX 570 8 GB AREZ Expedition Video Card ($139.99)
Case: Corsair - Carbide SPEC-04 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99)
Total: $617.21
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-25 12:44 EDT-0400

This would be what I consider to be the equivalent AMD build for gaming, but you would have to overclock the 2600X to make it equivalent.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: OLOy - 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($76.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel - 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($61.37 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus - Radeon RX 570 8 GB AREZ Expedition Video Card ($139.99)
Case: Corsair - Carbide SPEC-04 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99)
Total: $603.21
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-25 13:06 EDT-0400

Addendum: the 9400F is now $159.99 at Newegg with coupon EMCTYVB22 .

Last edited:

If you click on the [bb] at the top of pcpartpicker, you can copy and paste your build here. Your build gets good frame rates, but the psu could be better. It made me work harder to improve my build, which averages about the same as yours, but has better minimum frame rates. There's a cool site someone linked to yesterday with which you can compare.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor ($116.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2800 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel - 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($59.99)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB XC BLACK GAMING Video Card ($214.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $606.73
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-26 09:48 EDT-0400

Some prices require Newegg coupons.

https://www.gpucheck.com/compare/nv...i/amd-ryzen-5-1600-vs-amd-ryzen-3-1200/medium