Question Gaming Pc Unstable

Jul 30, 2019
I assembled a system for a friend with some parts that I was using before upgrading to ryzen, the specs are:

cpu: Intel i5 6600k (with stock cooler)
gpu: Msi 1050 ti
motherboard: gigabyte z170xp-sli-cf
psu: corsair cx650m
case: thermaltake g21
ssd: samsung evo 850 250gb
ram: 2x4 hyperx fury 2400hmz

The problem with his pc is that whenever he tries to play games even with everything on low his pc freezes after 5-10 min and he has to shut it down from the switch, the psu and motherboard are the ones that I was using before, the thing with his pc, I think that it is overheating I checked the event viewer and the only one that appears there is the Event 41 Kernel-Power, I shipped the computer to another state, is it possible that the cpu overheats that much? because I was using teamviewer to help him out to install some drivers and noticed that the temperature reading on HWmonitor was 100c on the package when installing drivers using 63% of the cpu. But when the pc is idle the temps are on 30c-40c, Maybe I messed up applying the thermal paste?, He has little to no knowledge about changing hardware on pc so I can't really ask him to check it.

Any other ideas of what could possibly be causing this error? nothing is oc'ed in the bios, I actually set the ram on 2133 instead of the 2400

Jul 30, 2019
Hi,

If it the CPU was overheating the system would instantly shutdown, I believe your issue would be more RAM or HDD Related if possible try replacing ram or pulling 1 out at a time to see if the problem persists.

also how long has the operating system been installed on the system? I have noticed in the past with failing HDD's/ SSD's the system will run fine until the usage spikes and the drive fails.

Jul 30, 2019
it is using a ssd that I used for my windows only, the HDD has nothing on it and the ram can be causing trouble, but is it impossible for it to be the cpu overheating?

Jul 30, 2019
it is using a ssd that I used for my windows only, the HDD has nothing on it and the ram can be causing trouble, but is it impossible for it to be the cpu overheating?