Gaming PC upgrade question

Aug 5, 2018
I currently have an assembled PC with these characteristics. I am looking to buy a new graphics card (GTX 1080 Ti), processor (Intel i7), motherboard (Z370) and PSU (750W).

Taking into account I have never changed anything from the original build, will it be possible to install the above-mentioned parts? It would also be great to know if there is anything else necessary - I have been told I will need a new cooler and a Windows key - is that correct? If yes, which cooler would be best suited? Is there anything else I am missing here?

Thanks!

Solution
Visit PC Partpicker, and "Start a system build". You'll get an idea of the various parts available, prices, and the site has a pretty accurate compatibility checker built in. Noctua coolers are generally considered among the best options, but some coolers are large, and some cases are small, so hence why I recommend you try a build.

Stuff you need for PC:

Motherboard
CPU
CPU cooler (some CPUs come with one, you can check this on PC Partpicker - stock coolers tend to be less effective than 3rd party ones)
Graphics (card, or onboard)
RAM (note that onboard gfx 'steals' some RAM)
Storage (SSD, HDD)
PSU
Case
Operating System

Other essential items, that you almost certainly have:

Monitor
Keyboard
Mouse

Other optional items:

Case fans...
Pc parts wise you're going from low end to high end. When you replace the mobo, cpu, psu ect you might as well just start fresh unless you really want to keep that case.

If the i7 you buy has a K in the model number then it will not come with a cpu cooler.

From the looks of that image the pc came a with windows CD along with a key. You can use the old key, just not on both computers.

Visit PC Partpicker, and "Start a system build". You'll get an idea of the various parts available, prices, and the site has a pretty accurate compatibility checker built in. Noctua coolers are generally considered among the best options, but some coolers are large, and some cases are small, so hence why I recommend you try a build.

Stuff you need for PC:

Motherboard
CPU
CPU cooler (some CPUs come with one, you can check this on PC Partpicker - stock coolers tend to be less effective than 3rd party ones)
Graphics (card, or onboard)
RAM (note that onboard gfx 'steals' some RAM)
Storage (SSD, HDD)
PSU
Case
Operating System

Other essential items, that you almost certainly have:

Monitor
Keyboard
Mouse

Other optional items:

Case fans
Optical drives (CD, DVD)
Other media drives
Fan controllers
External drives (backups)
Speakers / Headphones
Network device (router / modem)

Misc.

Thermal Paste (comes included with many coolers, or they have a thermal pad already applied - some people prefer 3rd party paste)

Take a note of what power connectors all the parts might need, such as mobo 8-pin ATX, additional gfx card 6-pin connectors and so on, and ensure your PSU has them. PC Partpicker build will keep a running total of max power required, and I recommend 1.5x that for PSU (e.g. if estimated wattage is 361W, then 1.5x is 542W, and I recommend 550W PSU). Also consider modular PSU for cable management, and I recommend 80+ Bronze as a minimum quality, while anything better is a bonus.

Edit - The list above was just to help you, in case you forgot anything, rather than a "you must buy this" list. ;)

Solution

Wolfshadw

Titan
While your above plan would work, I'd probably opt for the easier plan of just updating the processor in your current system to a second gen Ryzen 7 processor.

Upgrade the RAM to 16 GB.
Update the motherboard BIOS to accept the new generation processor.
Upgrade the processor to something like the Ryzen 2700X and use your current CPU Cooler.
Upgrade the power supply.
Upgrade the graphics card.

No need to alter your Windows Key or reinstall Windows.

-Wolf sends