NovaTronMC

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014
So i've been gaming on a PC with these specs for over 4 years now:
- Intel Core i7-4820k
- Asus P9X79
- G.Skill 16GB Ram DDR3
- MSI GeForce GTX 970

And I wanted to start upgrading to some better hardware like a gen 8 i7 or i5 (Not sure which one is recommended for my wants/needs), and maybe a 1070/1080.
So I wanted to aks you guys which new components can I get to have my PC on date with great specs. The activities I want to perform on this PC are obviously gaming, with games like Fortnite, GTA V, Witcher 3, Destiny 2, and upcoming games that may require power. But also a everyday use PC and, Im studying Architecture, so a Pc that may handle programs with 3D modelling. These are all my needs, so I wanted some help with pieces that are on a good price for their quality, and also maybe some RGB MoBo, that kind of stuff. Thanks!

Solution
I'm not really the one for selling parts advice, TBH nearly all my older parts or builds have gone to family or friends for next to nothing to help them out.

Getting back to a new build the 8700K is a great choice, you will want a higher end air cooler even if your not going to overclock as of now because it runs warm. The Gigabyte Aorus 7 is a excellent motherboard however I think the Aorus 5 would be a better choice as it'll still have all the high end features (excellent overclocking/multiple M.2 slots/RGB controls) for much less.

Review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gigabyte-z370-aorus-gaming-5-atx-motherboard,5569.html

Build Idea:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel -...

NovaTronMC

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014

1. I know, really doesn't matter, I can try to resell previous pieces to get some money back.
2. Im tilting towards 1440p or 2k maybe, and If i get the money 4k.
3. Don't really know, I don't want to pay humongous amounts of money, although I know it won't be cheap, so whatever is considered "Cheap" for the specs I want is fine.

1. 1440p is 2k
2. Cheapest upgrade is to put in a GTX 1070/1070ti and you should be able to do 1440p 60 FPS gaming. What psu is it btw?
3. I suggest you go with #2 and see if you really need 1440p 144hz gaming, in that case, 8600k + 1080/1080ti is desired.

NovaTronMC

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014

Sorry for the late answer, been out of town.
So i've been thinking, maybe I should keep my GPU for some more time while I wait for the new GTX 11 series. But also I wanted to keep my PC up to date, now talking about the CPU, RAM and MoBo. I currently have a gen 4 CPU with a pretty rare socket (2011), DDR3 ram and honestly, my CPU is not optimal for gaming. So in some more years if I try to upgrade hardware, my current pieces would be very outdated which means I could not sell for that much money, meanwhile I now can sell pretty expensive actually. So I though on selling my CPU, MoBo and RAM and get current gens (i7 8700k maybe, DDR4) so I have an up to date PC that will last valuable for a while. What do you think?

WildCard999

Titan
MERGED QUESTION
Question from NovaTronMC : "Gaming PC Upgrades"

You have a very good CPU, while it's older I'd still keep it and just upgrade the GPU to a 1080 or 1080 ti, maybe get a larger resolution monitor with remaining budget. As for the RGB I'd buy some fans for your case then get a RGB fan controller.

NovaTronMC

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014

The thing is that i'm worried about the devalue of my current specs, because If I sell all my specs right now maybe I can make a good amount of money to get the new specs, but not sure if in a couple of years, the same specs may be sold for useless amounts of money, what do you believe? Towards the GPU, im selling my MSI GTX970, when I sell it I might straight away buy the EVGA GTX1080, or maybe wait for the new GPUS and still get a 1080 because of price drops.

WildCard999

Titan
Well if you keep your current setup (minus the GPU) it will allow you to save up for something better when needed and if you overclocked your current CPU you may be able to get at least another year or two from the system.

If you think now is the peak for selling it then go for it, the 8700K is a awesome CPU and should last at least 5 years.

NovaTronMC

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014

When do you believe the peak is? Because I have the budget to upgrade right now but not sure if it is worth it. And in case it is, do you believe the specs I selected are good? And please I need help with the ram.

WildCard999

Titan
I'm not really the one for selling parts advice, TBH nearly all my older parts or builds have gone to family or friends for next to nothing to help them out.

Getting back to a new build the 8700K is a great choice, you will want a higher end air cooler even if your not going to overclock as of now because it runs warm. The Gigabyte Aorus 7 is a excellent motherboard however I think the Aorus 5 would be a better choice as it'll still have all the high end features (excellent overclocking/multiple M.2 slots/RGB controls) for much less.

Review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gigabyte-z370-aorus-gaming-5-atx-motherboard,5569.html

Build Idea:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($347.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - R1 Universal 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.95 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($206.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $814.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-29 12:46 EDT-0400

Solution

NovaTronMC

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014

Just checked out the Aorus Gaming 5, and yes, it is literally the same for much less, which means I can sell my current MoBo for less guaranteeing me a sell, really appreciate that. Also, thanks for the RAM, looks beautiful and has a great price. And towards the cooler, I already have a brand new Corsair H80i v2, should do fine right?