Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600
Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Dual Superclocked
Zalman Z12 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX'
BenQ GL2460HM 60Hz 24.0"

I have taken countless hours to select these parts, and get the bang for my buck, so my question is not really regarding the parts, but rather, their usefulness in the long run. This PC will be mainly used for gaming (Minecraft, FPS shooters like BF4), regular use, and editing (Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere Pro/After Effects...). My question is, how long will this thing last me in the long run? With new parts and generations coming out so often, how long until I will have to upgrade my main components (motherboard, CPU and GPU)? Essentially, I want to know how long will I be able to play games on high settings, on 1080p, with an FPS above 50 in the games that actually require ressources (like BF4, Watch Dogs, Assassins Creed etc,) and an extremely good FPS (over 120) on low ressource-heavy games like Minecraft?

Money doesn't come so easy, and when I buy, I do not plan to replace sometime soon, so I want to make sure that the parts are not only good (which is strongly believe they are), but will hold up with the new requirements of games.

Thank you in advance for your help,
Jonathan

hubjon11

Honorable
Jun 18, 2014
Thank you all. I know that Corsair is very good, so I tried picking something good price wise, however, I am not so familiar with their series. Any suggestions for a different corsair one? Also, I use PCPartPicker, and they say that it will be 432 watts, I got 500 so I could upgrade, and so that I dont double the electrical bill. MONEY MONEY MONEY everyone! Also, isnt the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo amazing for its cost. Thats what i heard...? Also, can you answer my question (i would like to know how long it will last, and what ill have to probs do to upgrade it in the future)? haha

iron8orn

Admirable

if you want to upgrade down the road or sli you need a 850w 80+ bronze.

yes, the 8 threads of the 4770k are future worthy and sli worthy.

the evo should be good for 4.5ghz just add another 75 cfm fan.

hubjon11

Honorable
Jun 18, 2014

Thanks! Can you put a time stamp on dat? Like how long?

hubjon11

Honorable
Jun 18, 2014

Thanks, good idea.

CAN SOMEONE ANSWER MY ORIGINAL QUESTION? hahahaha

iron8orn

Admirable
its hard to say a exact time but it will be several years before you need to worry about it. your lga 1150 will let you upgrade to a broadwell(14nm) cpu next year and there should be 14nm or 16nm gpu's soon after to match although i cant say if they will be 3.0 or maybe something new backwards compatible. there is also skylake(14nm) on a new cpu socket that will accept ddr3/ddr4. 2016 is set for cannon lake that will be another shrink and socket that will only be ddr4.

hubjon11

Honorable
Jun 18, 2014

4 years at the top end? what do u mean with that? are u saying that in 2 years I will have to upgrade my GPU, and the PC will last for 4 years or what?

hubjon11

Honorable
Jun 18, 2014

whats cannon lake haha? so only in a few years ill need to upgrade but only some parts??? also, u said 1150 will let me upgrade to broadwell next year, I will need to upgrade my cpu already next year?? please explain

iron8orn

Admirable

look it up :) your pc will be good enough to get you through the leap in technology and let you save for a cannon lake system or whatever intel refines it to by the time you have to worry about it.

hubjon11

Honorable
Jun 18, 2014
Thank you all for your help. With all your answers, atleast I know that this system will last over 3 years, and when I do have to upgrade, it will probably simply be with the GPU. Appreciate it again!

Happy gaming everyone! :D