Gaming pc with extra capabilities

NEDGO

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
lurked this site and it's forums from time to time about information, but i finally figured i'd join and just ask for help, just got a decent paying job and would like to build a computer since the one i'm using is just a random vaio from like 2004.

my main point of getting it is to play some random games like diablo and wow and what not from time to time, mostly would be using it for just surfing, but still want it to game extremely well, cuz i will spend my life playing diablo 3 when it comes out, now that i'll have time and money to actually learn random things i find interesting, like animation, game programming, and some architectural work, doesn't need to be amazing in the programs for learning those, i would just like to dabble in it from time to time really, get some knowledge in it.

Approximate Purchase Date: roughly 3 months

Budget Range: 1000-2000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, 3d rending

Parts Not Required: need about everything

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg works fine for me

Country of Origin: live in Illinois, United States

Parts Preferences: doesn't really matter to me

Overclocking: Yes / No / Maybe don't know what this means

SLI or Crossfire: Yes / No / Maybe don't know what this means either. haha

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 fine with me

Additional Comments: silent would be nice, water cooled would be nice just cuz it looks cool, but not a neccessity

NEDGO

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
oh i know, i'm aware technology is basically old when it comes out cuz they've already got something better being built, but mine doesn't have to be completely up to date or anything, tho i'm aware in 3 months there might be something new out that someone hadn't listed that i could of used, but i'm sure there's year old tech that would work fine for what i'm looking for, i'm just looking for some insight, help for a novice.

Well then,... lets see,...

CPU - The current best when it comes to performance-value in the mid-high end segment and will easily fit your budget -
Intel Core i5 2500K

Mobo - There are a lot of good P67/ Z68 LGA 1155 boards out there, so you can decide then,...

RAM - 8GB has kinda become a norm these days,... So a good kit from say GSKillz/ Corsair/ Crucial should do,...

CASE - There are many good Mid Towers such as Cooler Master CM 690/ HAF 912/ 922, so on... so choose from those...

PSU - If going with more than 1 graphic card, then 700W+ PSU else a 550W PSU from Antec / Corsair/ PCP&S/ Seasonic/ Silverstone should do,...

HDD - As of now, the Samsung F3 1TB is good,...

SSD - OCZ Vertex 3/ Agility 3 60GB/ 120GB based on your requirements,...

Graphics card - GTX 560 Ti/ GTX 570 would be good if the 3D rendering apps take advantage of CUDA else HD 6950 2GB would be a good option,...