Gaming PC,worth to upgrade from i7 860@3.6 to i5 4670k?

angelfrost

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2013
Hello everyone!First of all my current pc now is
cpu:i7 860@3.6
cpu fan:coolermaster v8
mobo:gigabyte p55a-ud6
ram:8gb corsair vengeance 1600
gpu:gigabyte 660 oc edition
case:coolermaster cm 690II
psu:coolermaster 850 silent pro
ssd:intel postville x-25m 80 gb for OS
hhd:2 caviar black 640 sata II on raid 0
sound:soundblaster x-fi titanium fatality
o/s:win 7 64bit ultimate.
The last days i'm thinking very seriously to upgrade,the parts that i 'm thinking of is the 4670k and gigabyte z87x-ud4h.the old mobo and cpu i will sell them to a friend,all the other parts of the pc will be moved to the new one.I use my pc mostly for games watching movies,no video encoding or something like that.What's your opinion will i notice any difference in game by changing cpu and mobo??? I know that 860 is a hell of a chip but i'm thinking about the future too.Also the resolution i mostly play is 1680 x 1050.Any suggestions given will be appreciated!

Solution
Well your chip is still decent for todays gaming. If you get a 4th gen I5 you will spectate something about 20% to 30% increase performance theoretically. It may be good enough to refresh your platform, but for gaming I dont see as a solid upgrade. For gaming something you really want to aim for is to get a higher end GPU. I mean if you spend 350 bucks or so in a platform upgrade, it wont be as good as spending 400$ in a GTX 770. Becasue your processor is very capabale, at 3.6ghz you are rocking a solid gaming processor, with 4 cores (enough for todays games).

I really suggest you to stay a little longer with your I7, you may want to get a better GPU and wait for processor with DDR4. If you came with an Core 2 duo or Core 2 quad...

benjii

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
I recently upgraded from an i7-920 to a 4670k and have seen an improvement, both in synthetic benchmarks and real world terms. However, don't expect it to be mind blowing, while it is an improvement it's not a must have upgrade. If you have the itch, I say go for it. Although, if you think you can hold out, wait until Skylake for the PCI-e 4.0 and DDR4.

horaciopz

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Well your chip is still decent for todays gaming. If you get a 4th gen I5 you will spectate something about 20% to 30% increase performance theoretically. It may be good enough to refresh your platform, but for gaming I dont see as a solid upgrade. For gaming something you really want to aim for is to get a higher end GPU. I mean if you spend 350 bucks or so in a platform upgrade, it wont be as good as spending 400$ in a GTX 770. Becasue your processor is very capabale, at 3.6ghz you are rocking a solid gaming processor, with 4 cores (enough for todays games).

I really suggest you to stay a little longer with your I7, you may want to get a better GPU and wait for processor with DDR4. If you came with an Core 2 duo or Core 2 quad processor, an upgrade would be decent, but now... well for the money there`are better upgrades to do.

Solution

angelfrost

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2013

First of all thank you for your help.
Well you really have a point,then again i want to make it as an upgrade because 4670k will be overcloked too.I will sell 860 and mobo and a spare kit of dominator 4gb 1600 for a 180euro + i sell yesterday a spare 560 ti twin frozr II oc edition for 120euro so for the upgrade i almost pay 80euro or so ,and give me time untill it is absolute necessary to change in future the gpu.At the same time i will get some extra frames from the change of platform.

TRENDING THREADS