[SOLVED] Gaming performance slowed down after upgrading CPU ?

Garette

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
I have an old rig :
  • i5 3470
  • GTX 1650 Super
  • 16gb RAM 1600
  • ASRock H61M-VS3 Mobo
I just upgraded my CPU to a Xeon E3-1230v2 for the 8 threads and gaming performance went down. I have a save in Cyberpunk 2077 that runs at 50fps when I load on that level/save in my old i5. Now it just runs at 28-30 fps. *(Elden Ring also runs worse now.)

EDIT: I tested some more games and they actually improved - Witcher 3, Dark Souls 3, Fallout 4, Monster Hunter World. The areas I used to suffer in FPS are now much better in the Xeon.

*EDIT: I just fixed Elden ring by deleting the GraphicsConfig file.

Notes:
  • Temps are pretty much the same so maybe I did not mess up installing the Cooler/thermal paste.
  • Official website says my current BIOS version is compatible with the Xeon.
  • Windows runs fine I haven't noticed a slow down in the OS.
  • The CPU is recognized in the task manager, CPU-Z, BIOS, device manager, etc.
  • The Xeon has a lower TDP than my old i5 so PSU can't be the issue.
I was expecting a boost in performance in games but got the opposite. Anything I can do?

Last edited:
Solution
I found the "fix" with Cyberpunk. I went and changed graphics settings medium to low, low to medium, change resolutions, etc. I don't know which one worked but the abysmal performance I had on medium is now gone and now see a bit smoother & less stuttery experience than my old 3470. Which is weird coz deleting the graphics config files didn't work earlier.

Lutfij

Titan
The site does say that the minimum BIOS version you need for the motherboard to recognize the Xeon is P1.2. Which BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? As for your processor swap in, did you inspect for any bent or broken pins on the CPU socket? You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age. How are you cooling the Xeon processor in your build?

Garette

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
The site does say that the minimum BIOS version you need for the motherboard to recognize the Xeon is P1.2. Which BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? As for your processor swap in, did you inspect for any bent or broken pins on the CPU socket? You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age. How are you cooling the Xeon processor in your build?

My BIOS is 1.4. The CPU seemed fine with no visible damage. I can't remember my PSU sorry, but every other game I tried runs better now except Cyberpunk 2077. I just edited my post coz I fixed Elden ring's performance.

Your upgrade, as you stated, gave you 4 added threads.
The single thread performance was exactly the same.
You got a benefit for those games that could make effective use of more than 4 threads.

Single threaded games should have shown no improvement, but certainly not a decline.
Look to game settings for the impacted games. Cyberpunk forums might have an answer.

As a check on single thread performance, run the CPU-Z bench test. Your single thread rating should be around 349:
https://valid.x86.fr/bench/4ct5ck

Garette

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
I found the "fix" with Cyberpunk. I went and changed graphics settings medium to low, low to medium, change resolutions, etc. I don't know which one worked but the abysmal performance I had on medium is now gone and now see a bit smoother & less stuttery experience than my old 3470. Which is weird coz deleting the graphics config files didn't work earlier.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS