Gaming Ram for 2014

Bells

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
So, really simple question, i just wanted to get you guys opinion on this...

Most new games i see coming up early 2014 ask for 8GB ram on the system as recommended.

Being that i'm building a new rig, should i pay for dual channel 8GB now and only update to 16GB or Ram later on if needed to, or do you see value in going 16GB right out of the gate and not worrying about ram again for a long time?

Solution
Personally, if you think you may need 16GB in the future, you are better off getting it right now: DRAM manufacturers are progressively switching their production from DDR3 to DDR4 as demand for DDR4 increases and this will most likely translate into increasing prices for DDR3. Prices have almost doubled over the last year and if things go the same way as DDR2, they may double again over the next two years.

If you get only 8GB today and want to upgrade 2-3 years from now, the RAM may cost nearly as much as rebuilding with DDR4 - this actually is the main reason I upgraded from C2D to i5-3470: upgrading my C2D to 16GB DDR2 would have cost me ~$320 while the i5+MoBo+16GB DDR3 cost me $370 for ~3X the performance and platform refresh so...

Weeshnaw

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
Current games only use up about 8GB of RAM, and I doubt that will change in 2014, as until recently, they haven't even been using that 8. 8 should be fine for now, and besides, if you ever need more you can just upgrade.

InvalidError

Titan
Personally, if you think you may need 16GB in the future, you are better off getting it right now: DRAM manufacturers are progressively switching their production from DDR3 to DDR4 as demand for DDR4 increases and this will most likely translate into increasing prices for DDR3. Prices have almost doubled over the last year and if things go the same way as DDR2, they may double again over the next two years.

If you get only 8GB today and want to upgrade 2-3 years from now, the RAM may cost nearly as much as rebuilding with DDR4 - this actually is the main reason I upgraded from C2D to i5-3470: upgrading my C2D to 16GB DDR2 would have cost me ~$320 while the i5+MoBo+16GB DDR3 cost me $370 for ~3X the performance and platform refresh so upgrading the C2D made no sense.

Solution