[SOLVED] Gaming resolutions ?

Amddefector

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
Hi thanks for looking.

I currently have a 4k display and been having performance issues with most games with the settings cranked right up.

If I lower my resolution to 1440 I get good performance but the picture looks terrible! I'm thinking this is because 1440 is not my displays native resolution?

So my question is... If I buy a display with a native resolution of 1440 will the image look good? I know it's not gonna be as good as 2160 but will it be close?

Thanks.

Solution
Train sims not running that great is to be expected in my experience. Tend to be more CPU heavy and probably doesn't attract the best programmers.
But stutter in every game is unusual. Do you have all the drivers installed? AMD chipset, latest Nvidia drivers, latest stable BIOS that supports your CPU? Is the memory running at 3600 Mhz? I heard it's quite hard to get it past 3400 Mhz with 2000-series. Maybe it changed. But make sure it is not running at 2133 Mhz.

At the same time, 1440p is twice is hard to run as 1080p and 4k is twice as hard as 1440p/2k. Quite a lot of pixels. Add all the effects like postprocessing etc with maxed settings.
4k GTA V, Ultra, MSAA Off
View...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
All else being equal, native resolution will always look a little bit better than a lower resolution on a higher res monitor..... although should be decent enough, provided you're not stretching a 16:9 game to 21:9 or something.
Can't imagine 1440p on a 4K panel would ever look "terrible", so inclined to think something isn't right.

However is there a middle-ground? Perhaps 4K at reduced settings?

Please post your full specs.

Amddefector

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
Hi thanks for the reply.

My specs

Ryzen 7 2700x
Asus Rog strix b450f
16gb Corsair vengeance pro 3600 Ryzen tuned
8gb evga rtx 3070 xc3 ultra
2tb Kingston a2000 m.2 nvme drive
CPU cooler is cooler master ml120l keeps the CPU under 65c under load
PSU Corsair rm750
Display is a hisense 43" smart tv

I can understand that my GPU isn't high end. It's gonna struggle with 4k gaming with the settings cranked to the max but the performance I'm getting isnt what one would expect! Cyberpunk 2077 I get 30fps but far from smooth gameplay. Snowrunner I get around 50fps but far from smooth with constant freezes and micro stutter. GTA v I get 60 FPS but still with the odd stutter. Rdr2 around 35fps but again occasionally stutter. Here's one I really don't get because it's a old game but train simulator anywhere from 14-30 FPS. Train sim world 2 around 35 FPS. Warzone is unplayable. Even older games like silent hunter and farcry 2 aren't smooth.

On user benchmark my GPU always performs below expectations compared to other cards the same as mine.

Once the GPU shortage is over I'm thinking of binning the whole system and go back to intel platform with maybe a gigabyte or Asus graphics card as they have always performed well but until then I thought if I get a 1440 display and it looks good, I can live with that. As I get 60fps on most of those games at that Res.

The best I can describe what I'm seeing is as if you have a 1080 monitor and lower the resolution to 1024x768 that's kinda what it looks like when I lower from 2160 to 1440 on my current display.

Amddefector

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
Can you share the public link to the results from userbenchmark. Also if you are not overclocking the gpu it will always be behind on UB, it’s being compared to overclocked gpu’s.

Hi thanks for the reply. I'm not at my pc atm but will share result later.
I did run Asus oc tuner which found a stable clock of 2100mhz but the result was still the same. Even without overclocking the card it automatically boosts the clock upto 2100mhz when required. I think the card is probably faulty as I get quite bad coil whine and screeching from it lately. But if I rma it then it will be months for a replacement. The market is just a joke at the moment. I was looking at getting a 1660s for my other pc but it's double the price of what I payed for my son's a couple of years ago.

larsv8

Distinguished
One issue I think you are having is probably using a lower quality TV.

Monitors are a bit more flexible in changing resolutions as it is a bit expected.

I very much doubt Hisense designed that TV for 1440p PC gaming, and it is probably optimized for 4k or 1080p, as that is the norm for TV media.

I'd invest in a 1440p monitor, which have gotten quite cheap lately.

Not necessarily this one, but just an example of prices plummeting.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/LG-32-Ul...did=&affiliates_ad_id=567111&campaign_id=9383

Reactions: Barty1884

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Train sims not running that great is to be expected in my experience. Tend to be more CPU heavy and probably doesn't attract the best programmers.
But stutter in every game is unusual. Do you have all the drivers installed? AMD chipset, latest Nvidia drivers, latest stable BIOS that supports your CPU? Is the memory running at 3600 Mhz? I heard it's quite hard to get it past 3400 Mhz with 2000-series. Maybe it changed. But make sure it is not running at 2133 Mhz.

At the same time, 1440p is twice is hard to run as 1080p and 4k is twice as hard as 1440p/2k. Quite a lot of pixels. Add all the effects like postprocessing etc with maxed settings.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbh7qOZOTWw
MSAA 4x probably tanks performance. What's your perf at same settings? Compare.

Last edited:
Solution

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Ryzen 7 2700x
Asus Rog strix b450f
16gb Corsair vengeance pro 3600 Ryzen tuned

Freezing and hitching? How stable is that RAM OC? I would suggest using XMP/DOCP initially, even if looser timings and lesser clocks, just to see if the issue remains.

Display is a hisense 43" smart tv

That's where looking like garbage at non-native is going to come into it. Not all panels are created equal - and certainly not when it comes to TVs, and certainly-certainly not when it comes to a TV targeted as a 'budget' offering*

Have you enabled "Game Mode" on the TV? That should disable all the post-processing etc, and leaving any of that running will be terrible from a latency & performance standpoint.

That's really designed to be a 4K TV, and upscale (to some degree) lower res content. Not going to get a 1:1 vs a monitor unfortunately, but enabling "Game Mode" should help.

*To be clear, I've no issues with Hisense as a TV for the money..... I have two of them, and a TCL.

Amddefector

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
Can you share the public link to the results from userbenchmark. Also if you are not overclocking the gpu it will always be behind on UB, it’s being compared to overclocked gpu’s.

Hi sorry ive been away for a while. heres the link

UserBenchmarks: Game 133%, Desk 86%, Work 134%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X - 83%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3070 - 158.6%
SSD: Kingston SA2000M81000G 1TB - 123.8%
SSD: Adata SU630 240GB - 102.4%
HDD: Seagate ST3500412AS 500GB - 35.8%
USB: WD Elements 25A2 1TB - 41.8%
RAM: Corsair CMW16GX4M2Z3600C18 2x8GB - 101.2%
MBD: Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING

Amddefector

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
One issue I think you are having is probably using a lower quality TV.

Monitors are a bit more flexible in changing resolutions as it is a bit expected.

I very much doubt Hisense designed that TV for 1440p PC gaming, and it is probably optimized for 4k or 1080p, as that is the norm for TV media.

I'd invest in a 1440p monitor, which have gotten quite cheap lately.

Not necessarily this one, but just an example of prices plummeting.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/LG-32-Ul...did=&affiliates_ad_id=567111&campaign_id=9383
Thanks for the reply. Yeah that's what I'm thinking of doing. Sitting on top of this 43 screen is not doing my eyes any favours I would imagine.

Amddefector

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbh7qOZOTWw
MSAA 4x probably tanks performance. What's your perf at same settings? Compare.

Thanks for the reply. I have all the latest drivers installed. Memory is running at 3200 docp mode.
I've turned off all filtering in games.

Amddefector

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
Freezing and hitching? How stable is that RAM OC? I would suggest using XMP/DOCP initially, even if looser timings and lesser clocks, just to see if the issue remains.

That's where looking like garbage at non-native is going to come into it. Not all panels are created equal - and certainly not when it comes to TVs, and certainly-certainly not when it comes to a TV targeted as a 'budget' offering*

Have you enabled "Game Mode" on the TV? That should disable all the post-processing etc, and leaving any of that running will be terrible from a latency & performance standpoint.

That's really designed to be a 4K TV, and upscale (to some degree) lower res content. Not going to get a 1:1 vs a monitor unfortunately, but enabling "Game Mode" should help.

*To be clear, I've no issues with Hisense as a TV for the money..... I have two of them, and a TCL.

Thanks for the reply. Docp mode is enabled. Tried the TV in game mode but it doesn't make no difference. I will just have to invest in a 1440 panel I think. One thing I have noticed is thermal throttling on the GPU lately. The fan speed will increase and the game will hang then the GPU fan slows down and it stops hanging. But the GPU temp is only at 65c when it does. I've tried changing the GPU settings to performance over silence but it still does it.

Amddefector

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
Today before I committed to by a new 1440 monitor I decided to borrow one from the office. It's a 17" Fujitsu Siemens generic thing with a max Res of 1280x1024. I'm not seeing much of an improvement! Cyberpunk 2077 with all settings maxed and RT on although when I'm not moving I get 70fps but as soon as start to jump about or drive a vehicle this drops to 30fps. Train simulator is still producing between 15-25 FPS this is what baffles me! People say it's more of a CPU utilisation game yet my CPU usage is around 7% and GPU is 50% more yet in cyberpunk my GPU usage was 40%. I just don't get this? Could it be my ram?