Gaming Rig for Guild Wars 2 and Diablo 3 (need suggestions)

atmospherecf

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
Hi guys, This is what I have choosen for my new gaming rig. I'm new at this basically I want a gaming rig that will be able to play Guild Wars 2 and Diablo 3 at the highest graphic settings possible. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks for the help.

CAS: Xion Predator 970 Gaming Series Mid Tower Case w/ 2 External Removable HDD Bays

CD: Sony 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive [+3] (BLACK COLOR)

CPU: AMD Phenom™II X6 1055T Six-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology [+60]
CS_FAN: Maximum 120MM Case Cooling Fans for your selected case [+9]

FA_HDD: Vigor iSURF II Hard Disk Drive Cooling System [+21] (1 x System)
FAN: Asetek 550LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Advanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) [+18]

HDD: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (1TB x 2 (2 TB Capacity) Raid 0 Extreme Performance [+93])

KEYBOARD: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard

MEMORY: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand)

MOTHERBOARD: Asus M4A87TD EVO AMD 870 Chipset CrossFireX Support DDR3 Socket AM3 ATX w/ 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, IEEE1394a, USB3.0, SATA-III, RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 1 PCIe X1, & 3 PCI

MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse

MULTIVIEW: Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors

NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network

OS: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)

POWERSUPPLY: * 950 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-950TX 80 Plus Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready [+131]

SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT

SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

SPEAKERS: 600Watts PMPO Subwoofer Stereo Speakers

VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 1.2GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+42] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
VIDEO2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 1.2GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+244] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

TOTAL PRICE: $1598

You know the AMD mainboard chipsets do not support SLI, correct? (Try hard for a GTX570, less power hungry) (Fyi, if primarily for gaming, the quad cores currenly give better performance at same clock speeds as hex cores)

Are you planning on 3 monitors?

GO with a pair of 4 GB modules over 4 of the 2gb sticks....less chances of issues at faster mem CAS timings.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
I'll have to disagree with MDD's suggestion of 2x4GB chips. As the density of the chips is twice as high as the 2GB models, they have to run closer to the redline to deliver the same performance.
Anyway, your build will play those games at max settings(minus anti-alias, as the results are often fickle) up to I'd say 1920x1080.
...and yea, you'll need an SLI-capable board for your two Nvidia cards.

epdark

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
Diablo 3, seeing as Blizzard tends to be a bit more demanding then I suspect GWII will be. And seeing as Diablo 3 will obviously be using a modified but extremely similar engine as Starcraft 2...

Just select Starcraft 2 Ultra settings on their website and compare? Lol. That being said, I think you could spend significantly less money and still be able to play it on ultra.

atmospherecf

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
Hi guys, i updated the specs that I wanted. I'm open to suggestions.

CAS: Xion Predator 970 Gaming Series Mid Tower Case w/ 2 External Removable HDD Bays

CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)

CPU: AMD Phenom™II X4 970 Black Edition Quad-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology [+50]

CS_FAN: Maximum 120MM Case Cooling Fans for your selected case [+9]

FAN: * CoolerMaster V6 GT CPU Cooler (Nickle Plated Double-V Heatpipe w/ Color Changing LED Cap) [+22]

HDD: 80 GB Intel X25-M 2.5 inch SATA Gaming MLC Solid State Disk [+99] (Single Hard Drive)

HDD2: 500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+43] (Single Hard Drive)

KEYBOARD: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard

MEMORY: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand)

MOTHERBOARD: Asus M4N98TD EVO AM3 NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI Chipset DDR3 ATX w/ 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB2.0, IEEE1394, SATA-II, RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI [+45]

MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
MULTIVIEW: Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network

OS: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)

POWERSUPPLY: 950 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-950TX 80 Plus Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready [+131]

SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 1.2GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+42] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
VIDEO2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 1.2GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+244] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

PRICE (+1619)

G

Overkill, Overpriced.

Take:
1x GTX470 (480 or 580 if u want to spend more, but still overkill).
GTX makes a lot of noise, maybe go for a Ati equal for lower noise and heat, what you want.

Processor is good, still overkill tough, take the scythe mugen 2 rev. b. Cpu cooler.
its BIG beutiful cold and silent. (about €50)

Xion Predator 970: nice case (Y)

CD drive: take a blu ray burner (since ur spending a lot, buy a bluray burner so you always have all the options open. (about €100)
SSD: OCZ Vertex 2 60GB, its faster, be sure to plug it in atleast a sata 2 port, and be sure to put your OS on it.€100
Memory: its a bit much, but ok. be sure that your MOBO support 1600MHZ RAM (hardly any mobo does so), or else u need to overclock to get the 1600mhz. Tough its not necesary to get it to 1600. the standard 1000mhz will do fine.
HDD: take the Samsung Spinpoint 1 TB. Good, fast (for an HDD), cheap €40-50

soundcard and network card: you dont really need it, your mobo has a intgrated 7.1 audio chip and a intgrated gygabit ethernet chip. maybe add a wireless network card if u plan on going wireless. (i swear on cabled network tough)

Power supply is ok, its much for this rig, but ok.

Gaming mice, keyboards: Don't spend to much on them 90% is rubbish and they wont make u a better gamer, or make the gaming experience better for that mattter.
Keyboard: buy a standard one €10
Mouse: a logitech g9x
Sound: get rid of the speakers, gamers use headsets. (every1 uses headsets!)
Use the Fatal1ty gaming headset: cheap, good, has a mic, sits VERY nice on your head.
Or the logitech G35, more expensive 7.1, heavy, good sound.
(i got them both)

But most importantly!
Dont buy it from where u got that list.
The whole summary can be bought for under a €1000 euro, and i dare to say that without doing my math.
Buy all the parts seperately, an build your pc together on your own. (beware of static discharge).

this way is cheaper, u get knowledge, its more fun, and ull be more proud of yourself and your computer

galeener

Distinguished
Looks ok but the mouse and keyboard are really not that good the mouse cord is very thin and fragile on that mouse and the keyboard is really basic and you could do better for a a little more money.
Cyber power is already listing b3 stepping sandybridge motherboards. I would go for a sandybridge build but its up to you. Im not sure what the build time would be if you got a sandybridge from them though.

bdbeall

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
Ok, First this is overpriced. I bought a system 2 weeks ago with these specs for 1565.

Haf 912
i5 2500k overclocked to 4.2 GHz
GTX 580 OC's to 900MHz
8GB ram
120GB ssd
1TB hdd
DVD RW drive
ASUS mobo
HYPER212+ heatsink
800W PSU
Pro cable management
Arctic Silver 5 heatsink

It was from custompcandrepairs.com email them and see if you can get a better deal on your system.

norleras

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
Have to agree with the folks telling you to build your own. When I started out, I was so clueless as to building. I went to the extent of ordering a PC from Ibuypower. This was a large mistake on my part! I then decided to bite the bullet and return said computer after some rough ordeals with the company. From there I educated myself on parts and how to build a system. Now I've got a better system for a better price. I also have the gratification of building my machine! I really wish this for everyone, as it is a wonderful feeling!

sleapeasy

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
I would have to agree with norleras on this. It is a wonderful feeling building your own, But i have heard nothing but good things about that custompcandrepairs.com site. So up to you really.