AcidSnow

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2008
I hate to do this as I've seen numerous threads like this, but i need major help building a new gaming rig. First, lets "pretend" i know nothing about computers. I know how to install and remove things like graphics cards, sounds cards and the like, and thats about it.

I would like this rig to be able to run Crysis, Diablo III and games like that, but most importantly Warhammer: Age of Reckoning.

My budget is about $500. I know this is asking a lot since i know very little about computer components, but what would help most is a list of what the best items would be for my budget and to run those games maxed out if possible.

I do have my old Dell monitor which i will still use to save money, also have the mouse, keyboard and speakers so i wont be needing those.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, so thanks in advance.

calinkula

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
I like Mark $'s build except for 2 things:

1.) $100 for a case? WTF!
2.) Save money on the case and spend more on a video card. 8800GT or ATI 4850

mark $

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
Hehe Calinkula, read my last line. Someone else made that wishlist, thought it was ok except for those two things also.

AcidSnow

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2008
Thank you so much for the help guy's, you have no idea how long I've been looking for help with building a system.

Also, as I've been reading these forums like mad, is it better to go quad core with the q6600 instead of the AMD, there seems to be mixed responses about those 2 (Intel vs. AMD)

calinkula

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Right now Intel is top dog. Depending on what you like to do makes the quad/dual choice. If you are a gamer go with a dual core because games are not multi-threaded very well yet. If you do 3D modeling or more video/audio encoding go with the quad.

AcidSnow

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2008
well for some reason it wont let me make a public one, its basically the same as the one you listed, with the new case and graphics card, but with an intel core 2 duo e8400 and An ASUS P5Q pro motherboard.

mark $

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
Godd then, might want to check out the P5Q pro and seagate 500gb combo deal. (500 gb hdd for $40 since you get 40 off).

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Well, on a budget AMD can be a better choice. If you don't want to overclock. Compare their prices for a mid range/lower end chip to an intel. I actually like the build mark put together, but if you have a 500 dollar budget, for the money you would be spending, maybe just grab the Antec Sonata combo with the 500watt Earthwatts supply that comes with it if they've still got it for 100 bucks, which would give you an extra 50 bucks or so, then grab a 4850 instead of the 8800gs.