Question Gaming Router Setup?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PCDesignerR

Honorable
BANNED
Jul 30, 2014
!PLEASE RECOMMEND A GAMING ROUTER FOR ME AND THANK YOU!
I've never used a gaming router before, but I'm interested in one especially based on what is advertised. I was looking at this router online:

Gaming Router from Amazon

So, I get what a modem is, the device with all of the link lights and the cable that comes from the wall to provide either Ethernet or WiFi connectivity to a household or business. The modem for an internet service like from AT&T is usually provided by the ISP. But, my question is:

If you buy a gaming router, does the router actually replace the modem that the ISP provides and installs, or does the 'router' get installed somewhere else? What is the difference between a modem and router, and, sometimes the modem/router is both in a single device right?

Thanks for knowledge and info! Please don't ask me to Google this, questions are why Tom's Hardware exists as a concept.

!PLEASE RECOMMEND A GAMING ROUTER FOR ME AND THANK YOU!

Last edited:

PCDesignerR

Honorable
BANNED
Jul 30, 2014
How exactly did you measure/quantify this difference?

Other than visibly and interactively noticing a difference when opening programs with internet connectivity and web browsing page change and loading speeds I was also able to notice a difference in a speed test when using the cat5 versus the cat7. I didn't really record the change the first time I did it, but I will when I go from the cat5 to cat8 here in the next few days.

PCDesignerR

Honorable
BANNED
Jul 30, 2014
At my work we have a commercial internet speed so I will be using the router and cat5s to measure the difference on a commercial internet speed between a cat5 from Ethernet port to device and cat8 from Ethernet port to new router for wifi and Ethernet speeds from the router on the cat8 line as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.