Gaming Server advice

M4av

Prominent
Apr 24, 2017
Hi everyone, it’s my intention to set up a gaming server. It will be somewhat high load and potentially a fair number of players to host. My question is what is the best route to go down I have seen a number of old servers online which may suit my need and be cost effective (currently one I have my eye on is a Dell poweredge R710 with 2 Xeon x5650 2.6ghz hex core processors and 32gb of ram). But I am struggling to find anything over 3ghz that’s cost effective and am unsure if the R710 or something similar possibly closer to 3ghz would be good enough. Alternatively I am considering building a tower with an i7 8700 and 32gb of ram. I don’t have a great deal of experience with servers and any assistance would be appreciated. Ie what are the benefits of using an old server over the i7 route and if I was to go the i7 route what sort of things would I be missing out on that as a server I would probably need. Thanks.

Solution
For the equivalent cost of the server, plus the electricity, plus the time involved, and your internet bandwidth use, how many months could you rent a game server in the cloud?

A home server is usually not a good investment.

kanewolf

Titan
For the equivalent cost of the server, plus the electricity, plus the time involved, and your internet bandwidth use, how many months could you rent a game server in the cloud?

A home server is usually not a good investment.

Solution