Gaming Server Build Help

gunp0int

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014
Hi everyone,

I have been looking at some parts to build a simple gaming server. I am not really worried about huge performance as it will mostly be used to run only 1-2 servers for games like minecraft and tf2.

I would like it to be around $400-$600 and relatively small.
(looking at mini or mirco atx)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have an idea for a build but I don't know whats the best so any opinions or other builds would be appreciated.
My Build:

CPU: FX-6300 OR A10-5800K Black Edition

MOBO: ECS A55F2-M4(1.0) FM2 AMD A55

RAM: G.SKILL]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231587]G.SKILL Trident X series 8gb DDR3 2400[/url]

SSD: Kingston Digital 120GB

Video Card:
Cheap doesn't matter or none if apu.

Case: Rosewill Micro-ATX Mini Tower

PSU: Whatever works is enough.

So what would be a better cpu?

What OS? (Cost isn't a huge issue)

Basically in the end we change games very often. I doubt we will ever host anything long time but it might be 24/7 at some points. I have very good upload and download speeds so I doubt it will be a huge issue for small servers.

Solution
Hello. I was browsing through though the thread and stumbled onto yours. I host Minecraft servers off a high end desktop/server system. My system consists of a Asus Z9PED8_WS MB 32G ram and Intel Xeon Processors. While this isn't in your price range. I would recommend getting a high megahertz ram sticks with the most ram you can get. Also a high Ghz processor. Minecraft and its servers are more Processor Intensive verses Graphics Intensive so a greater clock speed helps. Another reason to add more ram is if your gonna be running stock game setup versus run modifications or mods for the games. Those can really tax the system and bandwidth depending on the number of players connected and complexity of the mods used. Also I know you want...
I'd say to go with the FX-6300, more cores, better clock per clock performance, which of course means you need an AM3+ motherboard, you can go with a cheap version indeed but from experience I suggest you to avoid ECS, go with Asrock or some cheap gigabyte mini-atx mb.

gunp0int

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014
@RadIKal

Thanks, I was thinking pretty similarly. None of theses parts or for sure just to give an idea of what I want to spend and what I want. Also the a10 was on sale and would eliminate the need for a GPU.

However I would like to see what other opinions others have too. I am really a price to performance kind of guy.
;)

space55

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
Rundown:

I'd go actually for a server processor, as it is designed for this kind of thing.
GET MORE RAM!!! MOAR RAM MEANS GOOD!
I'd get around a 650W PSU
For the OS, get an Ubuntu Server OS. If you want an explanation, let me know.

So far so good. If you had about $10,000 more, I'd go for a dual CPU board with 512GB RAM... But I doubt you're that committed.

gunp0int

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014
@space

Most small mobos only support 8gbs of RAM sadly. This is more of a for fun build cause why not. And for the parts I listed I doubt I would need much more then 400W.

However thanks for the server os recommendation. I will look into it.

space55

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
Quick OS explanation: You want an OS with very very little running, as to speed up the performance. Also, see if you can get a motherboard with more RAM capacity. I installed an EXTRA 8GB into a computer to run servers. You'll notice the difference FAST!

AxelRod21

Reputable
Apr 18, 2014
Hello. I was browsing through though the thread and stumbled onto yours. I host Minecraft servers off a high end desktop/server system. My system consists of a Asus Z9PED8_WS MB 32G ram and Intel Xeon Processors. While this isn't in your price range. I would recommend getting a high megahertz ram sticks with the most ram you can get. Also a high Ghz processor. Minecraft and its servers are more Processor Intensive verses Graphics Intensive so a greater clock speed helps. Another reason to add more ram is if your gonna be running stock game setup versus run modifications or mods for the games. Those can really tax the system and bandwidth depending on the number of players connected and complexity of the mods used. Also I know you want to keep the size small but make sure and checking out the temps for the case under-load and idle because you don't want the server to overheat in the summertime or under intensive use.

For example my laptop is:
Amd Athlon II P320 Dual Core Processor 2.10GHz
with 4G total and 3G usable. Less reserved for the OS
Windows 7 home 64bit

It can handle Minecraft and around 12mods max without anything else open. I ran a large modpack of 25 mods with it and it lags and freezes up on me. I don't have much experience with team fortress so I can't comment on that game much.

Solution