[SOLVED] Gaming / Streaming Rig

Jan 18, 2019
Hey fellow people of the internet,

after 9 years I'm finally able, and willing, to invest in a new PC and also start streaming again (I already did it but my gaming rig died and thus I was forced to use my workstation which isn't able to load the latest Photoshop)

Now, I do know a little tiny bit about PCs. Though it will be the first time that I buy all parts by myself. I've assembled many PCs (or mostly disassembled) so the building itself won't be a problem.

I ask you if the setup, will be good for the purpose of working, gaming AND streaming.

Case: NZXT H700i Window Black
CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900X
GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2080 Ti TURBO OC 11G
RAM: G.Skill DIMM 32 GB DDR4-3000 Quad-Kit
CPU-Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H115i RGB Platinum
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB
Power: Corsair HX850

I'd be glad if you could help me and tell me, if this will work out. Keep in mind: I do know that this might be a (too) good rig, though I do have the money and I really need to compensate the years of not being able to game properly.

Thanks

Solution
My bad I read 9900k not x (stupid me and and Intel for naming different stuff so close)

If it does in fact need a bios update the. You'll need a supported processor to update it as it won't boot with your 9900x in it

Taking that chance is basically unavoidable with that chipset however

In almost every situation a 9900k would outperform as it's 10-11% faster until you get beyond 8 cores loaded and only 15% slower in the rare times you'll use all 20 threads
Jan 18, 2019

Hi, thanks for the response. I've read on the site of my hardware provider, that an update will solve this issue (I have done BIOS-Updates before so no problem)
Would you still recommend a different motherboard?

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
My bad I read 9900k not x (stupid me and and Intel for naming different stuff so close)

If it does in fact need a bios update the. You'll need a supported processor to update it as it won't boot with your 9900x in it

Taking that chance is basically unavoidable with that chipset however

In almost every situation a 9900k would outperform as it's 10-11% faster until you get beyond 8 cores loaded and only 15% slower in the rare times you'll use all 20 threads

Solution
Jan 18, 2019

Oh wow, that's actually a bummer. Didn't know that. So either I pay the store to build the pc and update the bios or I buy a different one. Huh. Guess I'll have to decide then. But hank you so much for the info! You saved me a lot of trouble!

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
The biggest downside is buying a $950+(usually around $1000) processor that will be slower 99% of the time you use it when a $530 one will do the trick. It's a lot of extra money spent for little gains and some losses.

With the $470 you could get a giant m2 ssd, stupid fast ram, and a better watercooler