Question Gaming suggestions for windows 7 LAN ?

DancingElephants

Honorable
Jan 6, 2017
I would to play a CO-OP game, like a zombie game, a minecraft like game, a run and gun game, or a game like besieger NOT "besiege", something October 22, 2009 era. ( The date windows 7 professional same out.) For two players playing one game on 1 different computers connected by LAN. Nice and simple.

I am Using a windows 7 professional computer, 8 gb ram. 500 gb of HDD space. NVIDIA GT 710 Grapics card on both. They are copies of each other. Fresh operating system install right outta the box, exactly the same right down to placement and color of each screw. No updates, I'm tired of problems with anything involving windows updates. Game updates are fine.

Any suggestions?

For more detailed description of what i am looking for:
  1. Looking for something that has a button that connects LAN to LAN, preferably offline.
  2. Something WITHOUT a 4,700 page install guide, 96 years of troubleshooting and error fixers, Rewrite the program from core to build multiplayer, then make a online account, fill out a blood type questionnaire, and a software and / or hardware maze just to connect LAN to LAN and play multiplayer using blunt force trauma to computer with sledgehammers and / or flamethowers.
  3. Something that does not require a newer graphics card as it does not have to be a pretty game. (just better than 8 / 16 bit color.)
  4. Games that require a 800 watt PSU, or any game that requires webcam.
  5. No sports games. Like basketball, baseball, football. Etc.
If any suggestion conflicts with anything numbered, please do not suggest that game. I like plug and play.
Thank you all for reading this and I hope that such a game exists.

(edited to include co-op, just to be clear.)

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Have you ever played Unreal Tournament (there are several versions)?
Absolutely.

From my Steam lib:
AmhFaAm.jpg

For me, just behind the Quake realm.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
With UT, you can do some co--up. You set up a "server" on one PC and then you can play against a common foe (a player can use the same PC to play from). USAFRet, I am remembering this properly, right?

That is what I recall doing with me and some of my guys in a far land, long ago. Internet access was not required.

USAFRet

Titan
With UT, you can do some co--up. You set up a "server" on one PC and then you can play against a common foe (a player can use the same PC to play from). USAFRet, I am remembering this properly, right?

That is what I recall doing with me and some of my guys in a far land, long ago. Internet access was not required.
Yes.
One system as the game server, client systems connected to that.
No internet needed.

IIRC, you can also generate some computer controlled bots. The humans can fight side by side against those.
Or, the humans can fight each other AND the bots.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I don't recall any particular improvements from the bots over time.

Unreal bots run on rails until they engage in combat. And they have a fixed activation range and accuracy depending on the bot level. Each individual character has different sliders that effect their combat style. On Godlike with camping at 100% characters like Tamerlane and Loque were basically instant headshot turrets if they had a sniper rifle and you wandered into range. I usually played on Inhuman so they weren't too perfect. (I might have a few too many hours in that game) Fun fact, I didn't use a mouse for that game.

I had a Quake III Arena server running for many weeks/months, and I don't recall any improvement in the bots. If I left them alone to their own devices they would return pretty regular scoring on capture the flag and kill ratios were pretty consistent. I used to make custom maps for Quake III. They had a cool terrain generating feature where you could load in a bitmap and it would contour based on the gradients.

Never did get much into map making for Unreal Tournament. They didn't yet support true 3D terrain, everything was flat planes essentially. And I never picked it up back up when 2k3 and 2k4 came out (I really didn't care for those versions) UT3 was good though.

DancingElephants

Honorable
Jan 6, 2017
Me and other player play agianst AI controlled bot teams. Not interested in games that involve online play agiasnt people. Something with a campaign would be cool.

Thank you for the dugesstions everyone. Those do sound great. :D
Anything else out there? Like RPG's or Fallout-ish, or Sid miner's civilization styles?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The original DOTA might be up your alley. It was a mod for Warcraft III where you basically only played as the hero characters. The original Warcraft III, not the remake.

Diablo II was capable of LAN play, and is basically the ideal quick and dirty Action RPG.

DancingElephants

Honorable
Jan 6, 2017
Thank all for the suggestions. Still looking for more. Something that does LAN (cable connected to 2 pc's with no internet) co-op play with graphics setting above DOS and below anything that goes over "buy a graphics card better than and / or new pc". I'm looking for something like fallout new Vegas minimum graphics settings.