Gaming system from scratch

argiris.fetsis

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018
Hello there my friends,

First things first, have an awesome new year!

With that out of the way, as the title suggests I'm planning to build a new PC, mainly for gaming, in the upcoming days/weeks.

Since as always there's a lot of discussion to be made about the components, I've reached pretty much a dead-end in my searches. I have some knowledge concerning PC's but nothing extensive so that may explain it.

Anyway, here goes. I've decided on a CPU and GPU already.

CPU: Intel Core i5-8400
GPU: Gainward GeForce GTX1080 8GB Phoenix

To be honest, I'm kind of bent on them but if you think I'm dead wrong for choosing them, please elaborate, advice is always welcome.

I'd like some opinions on the rest of the system though since I have no idea of the requirements needed to support those 2 parts and how to get the best out of them.

Budget is 1000-1100 euros including the above parts, withing that range. No monitor needed currently. I'm planning to overclock the CPU.

Resolution is 1080p although I'm planning to upgrade to 4k in the coming months, hence the GeForce 1080.

Upgrading because my current system is getting pretty obsolete, it's close to 5 years old now. The world has moved on since then.

That's pretty much it, I'd love to hear your opinions.

Have a good one!

Solution
You are dead right about those two components... http://www.pcgamer.com/intel-i5-8400-review-the-best-new-gaming-cpu-in-years/ but the GPU brand or variant doesnt matter much. They all perform around the same region.
With that out of the way, this is how your ideal setup should play out eventually...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor (€224.90 @ Caseking)
Motherboard: MSI - Z370-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€103.24 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (€152.74 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: SanDisk - SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€79.99...
You are dead right about those two components... http://www.pcgamer.com/intel-i5-8400-review-the-best-new-gaming-cpu-in-years/ but the GPU brand or variant doesnt matter much. They all perform around the same region.
With that out of the way, this is how your ideal setup should play out eventually...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor (€224.90 @ Caseking)
Motherboard: MSI - Z370-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€103.24 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (€152.74 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: SanDisk - SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€79.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€59.36 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Mini Video Card (€579.90 @ Caseking)
Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower Case (€48.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (€77.69 @ Alza)
Total: €1326.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-10 18:44 CET+0100

Now, there are a couple of ways you can play this to stick to your budget.
> Get 8gb RAM for now and add another 8gb down the line.
> Get the SSD later on.
> Wait for the cheaper b360 boards to come in a couple of weeks.
> Get a 1070ti and overclock it to 1080 speed.

However, if you can stretch the budget a bit, the above setup should do perfectly for an eventual 4k setup.
However if you stick to 1080p, then downgrading to the 1070 should keep you within budget.

Solution

mcconkeymike

Distinguished
One thing to remember is that with Intel CPUs you can only overclock the K or X edition chips and with the i5-8400, you will not be able to overclock. With that said, if you want to overclock, the i5-8600k is what you would need with pretty much everything else that Hellfire13 posted. If you decide you will NOT be overclocking, then the i5-8400 and either a B or H motherboard that is upcoming will be the less expensive route.