Gaming Systems Reaching 'Tens of Teraflops' by 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
nvidia eh.. they will reach that kind of computing power while consuming obscene amount of electric power like their current cards. nvidia should implement better power management in their gpus.

G

About that electric bill...I can I take an IOU for this month?

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
Yea, but nobody will take the time to put that much effort into a game in the first place.

1. They want the game to run on as many platforms as possible (mobile, tablets, laptops, etc...) That right there will be the "bottleneck"

2. They will want to ship their games as fast as possible. Taking extra time to pump out a game that needs 10 Tflops probably won't get enough of a return to make it profitable in the first place.

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
[citation][nom]lahawzel[/nom]Wonder what AMD has to say about this...[/citation]

The usual - whatever Nvidia does, we will make sure we do better - even if it means making a PCIe card that barely fits into your Tower Case and needs 20 or 30 PSU connectors.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
i still don't think that we have single cards doing quite the pre-rendered scenes from 5 or 8 years ago. They look really good today, but they had a lot more polygons. I'd say close though! Although 3 580s in SLI just about do it. haha

lca1443

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
I've always wondered what the point of these articles are?

News flash everything will be more advanced in the future!..........no way, really

RipperjackAU

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]lca1443[/nom]News flash everything will be more advanced in the future!..........no way, really[/citation]

If what the Mayans have been predicting about 2012 is true... well... it might not be.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Well, rendering cut scenes in current game engines in real time with 10 year later hardware doesn't sound that impressive. By the year 2019, when game engines would also have evolved to better visual levels, games will be developed with those engines and then again it won't be possible to render cut scenes in real time.

sissysue

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
Yeah right, wishful thinking, how many years have the PS3 and 360 been around and how many years are left before they replace them. They will have the 720 and PS4 by then and they will be better but not near what Nvidia is claiming.

G

[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]Well, by then maybe the game engines will also evolve to more realistic visual levels that again it won't be possible to render cut scenes in real time.[/citation]
+1 reading comprehension fail.

G

tens of teraflops on consoles...wow, imagine how fun quick time and scripted events will be with that much horsepower.

If the next consoles come out in 2013 (sorry, wii doesn't count in this race) then in 2019 they will only be 5 years old, and will not be replaced (sadly) for another 3 years. nVidia may have the parts to get the job done, but that does not mean anyone will be using them.

On a related note, we are already hearing about how the next gen consoles will have 3 year old (4 year old by the time of release) parts in them. This could be the first console release where even mainstream game rigs will be able to beat consoles on quality right out of the box. With the PS2/xBox consoles were a little ahead, then PS3/x360 it was the same quality as a main stream game PC for a few months. I remember being excited to buy a PS3 until I purchased my 9800GT for $180. Then I was really disappointed in the graphics of the consoles and never did end up buying one (besides, I would have to buy a TV to go with it... I think I'll stick with my nice 28" monitor).

But the point is, if you have to have a PC anyways to do work/internet, then why buy a console when you could put the money into a GPU and controller and enjoy better quality games, while getting a better experience for what work you do on it? At least before you could get better/equal performance to a PC, but I doubt that with the next gen.

ThornDJL7

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
[citation][nom]sissysue[/nom]Yeah right, wishful thinking, how many years have the PS3 and 360 been around and how many years are left before they replace them. They will have the 720 and PS4 by then and they will be better but not near what Nvidia is claiming.[/citation]

What's the point of a better GPU in a TV Console system when it's mostly pre-teens and frat boys playing them. They wouldn't know the difference, thus why they play most, if not all of their games on a console on the biggest TV they can find.

afrubin

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
Doesn't surprise me... however...

I'd really like to see how the cut-scenes will look... now THAT will be amazing.

woshitudou

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
After this iteration of consoles I believe consoles will be in the cloud. I don't trust anything nvidia says because they've been waffling and the whole Fermi thing ended up being all talk.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]If the next consoles come out in 2013 (sorry, wii doesn't count in this race) then in 2019 they will only be 5 years old, and will not be replaced (sadly) for another 3 years. nVidia may have the parts to get the job done, but that does not mean anyone will be using them..[/citation]
So he is saying the xbox 720 with its 4800 AMD based video card will be doing tens of teraflops in 2019?!?!?
Because if the 720 launches in 2013, and has a lfe cycle anything life the 360, then it will only be 6 years old in 2019 with a GPU that came out on 2009

Skippy27

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]This could be the first console release where even mainstream game rigs will be able to beat consoles on quality right out of the box. With the PS2/xBox consoles were a little ahead, then PS3/x360 it was the same quality as a main stream game PC for a few months.[/citation]

You do realize this is dedicated special purpose hardware they use that in no way compares to mainstream PC parts right?

[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom](besides, I would have to buy a TV to go with it... I think I'll stick with my nice 28" monitor).[/citation]

Not sure why you would have to purchase a TV. I use my 24" monitor for both my gaming computer and my xBox with both connected to HDMI with a optical switch to switch to external speakers if I decide not to use my headphones for one reason or another.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
[citation][nom]jacekring[/nom]The Mayans didn't predict anything for 2012, and you are stupid to believe in the hype that the media and movies are making out of it. The only thing that happens in 2012 is that the stars align back to what they were at the start of the Mayan calender. Meaning their calender restarts.[/citation]
True. Mayan calender doesn't end, it restarts in 2012. It's like when a vehicle's milometer reaches its max, it resets to zero, not that if it reaches 999999999 miles and you drive it even one more inch, it will explode!

rohitbaran

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Skippy27[/nom]You do realize this is dedicated special purpose hardware they use that in no way compares to mainstream PC parts right?Not sure why you would have to purchase a TV. I use my 24" monitor for both my gaming computer and my xBox with both connected to HDMI with a optical switch to switch to external speakers if I decide not to use my headphones for one reason or another.[/citation]
It is more about keeping the console free from bloated OS. PCs with exact same hardware as a console would probably be left in dust because they also have other processes going on other than games and it is always easier to optimize for one set platform. For PCs, the drivers add an interface to run the hardware in OS thus slowing down the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.