Gaming/Video Editing Custom PC *I want criticism*

techtte

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
I want to build a PC dedicated to video editing/rendering (programs such as: After Effects), gaming, 3d modeling.
I live in Europe and I want to buy my components through Amazon.co.uk, since the parts here are really expensive, even 50% more. I watched some reviews, specs and I thought of this PC Build.

CPU: Intel i5-2500k Sandy Bridge 3.3Ghz
Motherboard: Sabertooth P67
Power Supply: Corsair 650TX Enthusiast Series
Video Card: AMD Sapphire HD 6870 1GB (adding another video card in the future taken in consideration)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB Two Memory Module Kit
HDD: Seagate 1TB SATA-III 7200RPM 32MB Barracuda (thought of a SSD, but I don't have enough money yet; an upgrade in the future is possible)

Other details:
I don't have a case on a list yet. I'm looking for a decent price and good at the same time.
I need some links to an additional fan for the motherboard since it has a empty spot ready for it. And I need to know if the CPU fan needs replaced with a better one and some links to some fans if it is needed. (I don't any want to use any liquid cooling system)

Anything wrong? You think I can afford a better build with the same money or just a bit more? Tell me please, because this is my first custom PC build and I need all the help in the world.

Thanks,
tech.

Max1s

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Well it looks like a solid build.
Be careful your ram is 1.5 volts, as 1.65 will hurt your sandy bridge CPU.
The 2500k stock cooler sucks. (I know because I've used it.) And very nice air coolers can be bought for very cheap. I use a Sycthe Mugen 2, alot of the people in america use the Coolermaster Hyper 212, but you could really use a large number of cheap air coolers, just make sure they are socket 1155.
For a case you can use the Coolermaster 430/431, sharkoon t9, zalman z9, or other cases. Those 3 just come to mind as cheap but very good ATX cases. For a bigger case you could use Coolermaster HAF series, NZXT Phantom, etc.

If you're doing heavily threaded video editing I highly suggest that you grab an i7 with Hyperthreading (2600, 2600K, 2700K) and wait a few weeks until the new AMD cards come out before settling on an old and underwhelming 6870

techtte

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011

I already know that the i7 processors are more expensive than the i5, but what about the upcoming video cards? I can't afford really that much. Can you give me some more details on this?

The upcomming AMD cards are definitely going to be more expensive and won't offer a whole lot of added performance. However, it will likely push down the price of the older ones