Gaming vs. a portable laptop issue

Cowgoesmoo2

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
Well, this is the tough issue for me.

I've had what amounts to mid-tier gaming laptops for a while, because they have the 950m's or 960m's.

After getting a gaming desktop however, I would like help figuring out if I need anything like a gaming laptop anymore, at all.
As long as it can run minecraft, maybe that's all I need? Because if that's the case, I can start bringing a more portable item around. Although the biggest issue with my laptop, the large screen and hence decent weight might go away as I'm finishing college soon.

Anyone have ideas for what matters about portable ones vs. a gaming one? I just have fears about integrated graphics & weaker processors from years and years ago I guess. Every time I see Intel integrated graphics on specs it scares me. Basically. I feel like they probably can't handle jack squat

Suggestions for choices? And maybe it helps to say that at this point I honestly care more about a good trackpad more than anything.

Last edited:
A gaming laptop needs a good discrete graphics chip for fast action.
For normal desktop use or HD movie playback, integrated graphics is fine.
The essential performance spec to me is a SSD.
The next most important is the quality and brightness of the display.
If price is no object, look at the thinkpad x1 extreme.
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/X1-Extreme-Gen-2/p/22TP2TXX1E2
You can configure what you want.
A bit of advice, buy the minimum SSD and ram and upgrade it yourself for a saving.

Well, this is the tough issue for me.

I've had what amounts to mid-tier gaming laptops for a while, because they have the 950m's or 960m's.

After getting a gaming desktop however, I would like help figuring out if I need anything like a gaming laptop anymore, at all.
As long as it can run minecraft, maybe that's all I need? Because if that's the case, I can start bringing a more portable item around. Although the biggest issue with my laptop, the large screen and hence decent weight might go away as I'm finishing college soon.

Anyone have ideas for what matters about portable ones vs. a gaming one? I just have fears about integrated graphics & weaker processors from years and years ago I guess. Every time I see Intel integrated graphics on specs it scares me. Basically. I feel like they probably can't handle jack squat

Suggestions for choices? And maybe it helps to say that at this point I honestly care more about a good trackpad more than anything.

What type of system you want is up to you, you seem to be asking what you want to be using from total strangers. You should know that better than anyone. If all you want it for is for Minecraft, then get a system that can run that. What matters is what you want the system for. If you want a middle of the road setup, get a system with a Ryzen 7 CPU, it will have good enough graphics for quite a few games.