BandHog

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
Im really undecided on what I want to do here and trying to learn from reading here. With the recent price decrease i would like to build a whole new system. I do alot of burning DVD's and Gaming along with some photoshop stuff. I have read alot and I think im more confused !! lol I have some questions and if you could help me I would greatly appreciate it.

From what I understand Intel does not support SLI so to take advantage of SLI I would have to buy a AMD?

Should I take advantage of the Q6600 being so cheap or is there truly an AMD chip comparable?

Im looking to buy a 8800 GTS card for this rig do I really need to go SLI later if i wanted to upgrade?

Im not looking to OC but want to get another 3 years out of the board before I have to upgrade it.

I know some of this isnt exactly motherboard questions but it really tells me where I need to start. So any help would be great thanks again@!

BUFF

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003
There are nVidia chipset mobos that use the Intel CPUs but which support SLI.

The Q6600 should be good for Photoshop but of less use in gaming (because current games won't use the extra cores).

No, you can always sell your 8800 & buy the latest gfx card at that time which by then will probably be more powerful than running 2 8800GTS in SLI.

Unless you are gaming at 1900x or higher resolution with AA etc. I would forget about SLI as a single 8800GTS will be more than adequate.

BandHog

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
Thanks for taking the time. I was abit up in the air about SLI I really wasnt sure. I dont think ill be running 2 cards at once but I like to have the option. So far im looking at some evga boards just because I like the company and their step up program. Which I have already used twice and tey are now doing the same for the MB's.

4745454b

Titan
Intel chipsets don't support SLI. The 975/965 only support crossfire. (I haven't heard anything about the new P35, but I believe that only supports CF as well.) You can buy the 680i/650i chipset from Nvidia that does support SLI.

AMD currently doesn't have a CPU like the Q6600. If you can afford that chip, you should buy it.

Your third and fourth questions are a bit at odds with each other. If you want to be able to upgrade for several years, you need to get the P35. (it will support the newest Intel chips coming out in Nov/Dec.) The problem is that this chipset doesn't support SLI. You need to either drop the SLI idea (a good idea btw.), or buy the 680i/650i and hope that there is a bios update that will handle the new CPUs. You don't really need SLI.

TRENDING THREADS