Gamming

zible

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2003
Here is my wierd problem. Playing games online or just localy I see my connection time out for about 6 seconds about every minute or so. It comes right back with no problems but this happens regularly to me or my freind. I don't think this is normal as no one has ever complained bout this. The connection isn't lost, the links are all there, and I could do a very large download with no problems and not see this.

Me cards are linksys usb 8.0211b cards (version 2.6 and 2.8 the big ones with the long cable) and the wireless AP/DSL router of same vendor. The PC's are 2600 and 2200 amd. XP os. It doesn't matter if we are online gaming, or just local it happens no matter what.

It almost seems some kind of refresh to detect the wireless connection or something but I just can't figure it out.

I haven't tried doing it just adhoc with no AP involved, not to sure how to set that up to be honest in XP.

Any ideas?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by zible on 02/15/04 11:54 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
Unfortunately it's a common problem with XP's Wireless Zero Configuration. Go into your services MMC console and disable the service. Use your client devices software utility to configure your card. Problem will magically disappear.

CCNA, MCSE, A+, Cisco Certified Wireless Field Engineer

zible

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2003
You wouldn't happen to know if this method works with Linksys perchance? The reason I ask is that I have tried the configurator on XP and the program wont load, wont start, and wont install. If you don't know, perchance you know of a wirless vendor that makes an App that does work in XP, (and will still work with a linksys AP, though I can't imagine any of em wouldn't)

That and it stands to reason that if this windows doing the problem, there could be some regestry setting to change.

Ahwell thanx for the reply though, I will just have to fiddle with it and see if I can get the app to load

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by zible on 02/18/04 04:11 AM.</EM></FONT></P>