Gap between hard disks

rajya

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Hello

This question might look very silly but I have to ask this as I have just lost my third hard disk.

I have a Kobian cabinet housing a PIII 450 on a Intel 440BX2 board. I had fitted two Quantum 10 GB hard disks into the case, the last one just little more than an year old.

The gap (space) beetween the two hard disks is not more than 0.5 inches and there is no space to fit a third hard disk. The primary HS is on the top with the floppy drive much above it with plenty of space to spare. The secondary hd is below the primary with the HDD cage bottom just below it.

After a little more than a year, my secondary just stopped responding (BIOS cannot detect it anymore) & heaves & hums a lot when connected.

I do not have a aircon in the room but have a ceiling fan always running when the computer is on.

Is there a possibility that the hard disk crashed because of inadequate air flow between the two drives?

I am worried as I have to buy a new bigger hard drive to replace the crashed one. What I do? Pls help.

Rajya V Mishra
Calcutta, India

FatBurger

Illustrious
If it worked for more than a year, there's no chance that it was heat. Most likely, the drive just died. Find out about warranty to get it replaced. If it's not under warranty, then you'll have to buy a new drive.

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually I disagree with FAthead. Since your drive is not detected, that would usually indicate a bad interface on the drive. The PCB or a chip on it could have been slowely cooked, or cycles of heating and cooling could have caused the circuites to deteriorate, or it could have somply exceeded it's heat threshold on a certain day. There are other possiblities for damage over time when a drive is barely below its breaking point.

Back to you Tom...

rajya

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Thanks for chipping in, Crashman :)

It seems to be mechanical problem as my other hard drive (primary master) has been now making familiar noises (I got their first taste when my primary slave went out of commission) at times; I dunno what's up as both the drives were/are Quantum 10 GBs.

I even ran a CHKDSK from within W2k Prof which gave no bad sectors! So, I suspect that even this drive might be having some mechanical issues. I have since been running my machine with the side covers open in order to minimise heat.

Meanwhile, I got myself a Seagate 40 GB (not Barracuda) - I mounted this as a primary slave & made a 5 GB parition - while copying some data over, the machine rebooted & thereafter the partition was inaccessible from within W2k.

So, I booted into Command Prompt & formatted it - this time it gave 4 KB bad sectors!!! I was aghast & have immediately returned the drive to the vendor.

I am absolutely at my wit's end as to the next course of action - something spooky seems to be going on in my machine :-(

Pls help

FatBurger

Illustrious
It took you 12 days to figure out you thought that was funny?

<font color=orange>Quarter <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

Listen Fatty, if you took that misplaced pride and put it into finding out how often <b>I</b> posted in the last twelve days, you would realise I ain't been near this thread.

It took me about 12 minutes to stop laughing. :lol:

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink:

rajya

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Ok gentleman, if you have had your fill of laughter, I have another small naive question ;-)

A new Seagate 40 GB drive I am attempting to use in my computer shows up as 37.something in both Windows Me and 2000 - is this behaviour alright?

ycs46241

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2001
why do you have 10 gig drives why not buy one 30 and add hard drive fan to cool
check out prices at <A HREF="http://www.pricewatch.com/" target="_new">http://www.pricewatch.com/</A>

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I would have to say, yes! It's because the OS defines a megabyte by base 2 and the hardware manufactures do it by base 10. In the OS it's defined as 1,048,576bytes = 1 megabyte, and the hardware defines it as 1,000,000bytes = 1 megabyte.

<font color=red>BIOS updates do wonders ....</font color=red>

FatBurger

Illustrious
The point is, you drug up a 12 day old thread just to say "LMAO". I thought that was funny :)

To add to what Lars said, the partition on the drive takes up space. That accounts for a little more of the lost 3 meg.

<font color=orange>Quarter <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you can get a 5.25" bay to 3.5" convertor to put in teh hards disk.

never heard of a hard disk crashing of heating though.

good to see an Indian here.

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

AEboy128

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
My brother also had a 10gb quantum that was in a hdd cooler and his also failed. Yes it is normal to have it show up slightly smaller.

My system: <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=8946" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=8946</A>