Question Garbled Display when installing AMD Drivers

Ton_Xan

Prominent
Jun 4, 2019
Hey everyone,

I found an old laptop laying around the house that we recently bought. I guess the owner no longer needed it so they left it. I told them to get it but they said I can throw it away. I found its power supply and tried to open it. I am quite tech savvy and can troubleshoot software issues.

Specs:
Model: HP Elitebook 8560p
https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-elitebook-8560p-notebook-pc/5056949/document/c02782594

I got the one that has AMD graphics card in it

Problem:
1. The card is dead. While installing drivers either via windows update or via manual download on manufacturer's side, the display will go black then garbled/garbage display. Sometimes it shows Video tdr failure garbled display but most of the time just garbled then the laptop restarts and it cycles until I get the option to boot into safe mode.

What I did:
  1. Reinstall Windows
  2. Tried installing drivers from hp site and from win update.
  3. Replaced thermal paste on the gpu and cpu as well as the chipset which is just beside the gpu.
  4. Microsoft basic adapter works but one problem is it does not show 1920 by 1080 display so I am stuck with 1024 by 768 which does look good.

I know that the cpu i5 2540M supports intel hd graphics 3000 but I cannot install its driver. the machine wont accept it.

Is there a way I can force 1366x768 or 1920x1080 reso on Microsoft Basic Adapter? Or is there any way I can install Intel HD Graphics without installing AMD's Radeon HD 6470M graphics driver?

I would really appreciate all the help and advise anyone could provide.

Thanks.

Lutfij

Titan
Reinstall Windows
Which OS are you working with?

Tried installing drivers from hp site
Manually install the drivers in an elevated command, i.e Right click installer>Run as Administrator

Reads to me like the GPU's properly dead! You could disable the discrete GPU and have the iGPU work but that would require you to manually disable the discrete GPU in Device Manager.

Wait, if you have the 6470M, what sequence did you install the drivers in? Use DDU and remove all drivers. Use the AMD drivers found on HP's support site. Which BIOS version are you on at the moment? You can tailor the support site by using the SKU on the bottom of the laptop.

Ton_Xan

Prominent
Jun 4, 2019
Reinstall Windows

Tried installing drivers from hp site
Manually install the drivers in an elevated command, i.e Right click installer>Run as Administrator

Reads to me like the GPU's properly dead! You could disable the discrete GPU and have the iGPU work but that would require you to manually disable the discrete GPU in Device Manager.

Wait, if you have the 6470M, what sequence did you install the drivers in? Use DDU and remove all drivers. Use the AMD drivers found on HP's support site. Which BIOS version are you on at the moment? You can tailor the support site by using the SKU on the bottom of the laptop.

Hey thanks

I have tried clean installing Win7, Win 8.1 and Win 10.

I already did this multiple times. no good.

Problem is the iGPU drivers cannot be installed. No igpu drivers in hp site as well. I was thinking of the same to use the igpu but only basic display can be seen.

Latest bios version is installed. Already tried using DDU to remove all drivers I can find and manual reinstall still the same.