Question Garbled screen

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
I got an ASUS X541N, sometimes when booting or when waking from sleep the screen would look like this:
636-DBCE8-B935-4746-B34-C-4-F7800-D54-B60.jpg

when i close the lid and open it back up again everything returns to normal.

tried a fresh install of windows, updated bios, and opened it up to see if theres anything loose…

only change i did was an upgrade to an ssd. Anybody have any ideas?

thanks.

Lutfij

Titan
First thing you should check is to see what BIOS version you're on for your laptop. If you have a number of BIOS versions to update, don't jump to the latest version. Gradually work your way to the latest version. You can find your laptop's support page here, after keying in your laptop's SKU(under the laptop). Following that, check and see what version of Windows 10 you're on. You will also need to download the latest drivers from Intel and Nvidia if you have both GPU's onboard, use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers, then reboot and manually reinstall the GPU drivers in an elevated command., i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
The laptop shipped with bios version 323, latest is 324. Updating did not fix.

currently on windows 10 21H1, only integrated intel graphics available. Got drivers through windows update.

Problem doesn’t seem to occur in safe mode, but it’s very random. It could go a long time without happening.

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
The problem does not seem to happen with a hard drive.

hmm… strange. But, I’ll just keep using the ssd. I’d rather have a slight inconvenience 1% of the time than a slower laptop…