Gartner Cuts PC Sales Forecast, Blames Tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
notebooks will benefit from the hardware push caused by tablets and other mobile devices. notebooks will never go away, they are the best option for all computing needs. with more die shrinks, and SSD prices dropping the notebooks will start to gobble up the PC tower segment. if a notebook were available now with gtx460 and i72600k performance for 1000$ i'm in..

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
To be honest Desktop and Laptop PC's have been around for a long time, people are looking for new ways to take their work and playtime with them without the need to lug around either a desktop or a laptop.

Tablets are ideal because with today's technology most tablet's out there have enough power to do pretty much all tasks that a standard person might need, like office documentation, wireless internet and multimedia.

Iv'e been looking to get something other than a PC upgrade this year, and instead have my eye on the tablet market, well.. I'm still keeping my eye out for Bulldozer.

James296

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
I will still have a desktop for my large data storage needs or high demanding games but I will be getting a notebook/netbook in the future

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
that all is to be expected.
A lot of people are quite happy with their smart phones; and can do almost anything they need to with it.

Another part has bought netbooks for their needs, and tablet pc's that replaced a lot of notebooks.

Desktops are generally only used for servers, companies, offices, and gamers.

G

I don't see a use for tablets when we have so many superphones on the market. Of course this is just my opinion. I've been told to just try the ipad first and I have. Bought one at walmart to try for a week and returned it.

notty22

Distinguished
[citation][nom]applegetsmelaid[/nom]Tablets changed my life! If it weren't for the iPad I would still be a virgin.[/citation]
I lol'd at this.
Many have had similar experiences, a corvette :) ?
Ipad II starting at 500 dollars is a game changer for many withe expendable income. With its dual cameras, the video chat feature is a BIG time app.
I'm in for 1 this year, for the coffe table. Its functional,a topic of conversation, the newspaper or latest magazine all in one.

retirepresident

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Instead of the initial forecast of 417 million PCs, Gartner now estimates 2011 unit sales to be in the 388 million range. Decrease another 20%-40% I'll believe that. Gartner waking up its get worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.