Gartner: Lenovo Now 2nd-Largest Worldwide PC Vendor

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbdullahG

Distinguished
I remember looking at PC catalog for a new laptop for my uncle a year or two ago. I saw few Lenovo desktops and laptops. I thought they were just a small PC manufacturer that no one really knows about. Funny how things change so quickly overtime.

G

[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]WTF?... didn't this article appear on Tom's ALREADY recently?![/citation]
No. I think it was hp in the other one...

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]WTF?... didn't this article appear on Tom's ALREADY recently?![/citation]
They were announced 3 weeks ago as the world's 3rd largest. Now they're the 2nd largest. Unless that article was a typo.

I'm not surprised, the build quality of Lenovo products is very good. I know a few friends who purchased notebooks recently (one for $800 AUD, the other for $850 USD) and they are both very pleased with it. The former used to use a netbook while the later used to use an Asus G73.

That says quite a lot to me, so props to you Lenovo. Just don't let your market position go to your head and start cutting back on quality.

frost_fenix

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
[citation][nom]AbdullahG[/nom]I remember looking at PC catalog for a new laptop for my uncle a year or two ago. I saw few Lenovo desktops and laptops. I thought they were just a small PC manufacturer that no one really knows about. Funny how things change so quickly overtime.[/citation]

Dont know if you realize they used to be the PC division of IBM which is a name everyone knows about

titan131

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
[citation][nom]frost_fenix[/nom]Dont know if you realize they used to be the PC division of IBM which is a name everyone knows about[/citation]
Actually Lenovo bought the PC division of IBM.

AbdullahG

Distinguished
[citation][nom]frost_fenix[/nom]Dont know if you realize they used to be the PC division of IBM which is a name everyone knows about[/citation]
Used to? How long ago was it until they weren't?

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
And IBM sold it to China

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

ThinkPad line is indeed very good built quality and perfect for typing... specs rock, too. X201 has a netbook form-factor yet packs an i5, good battery life, lots of RAM and keyboard is just great. Prices can be too high at times, but I see actual build quality you're paying for, it's worth it.

IdeaPad line, however, is a bunch of underpowered ugly POSs with poor driver support. I never got Wi-Fi to work on my mom's S10-2 under pre-installed XP, so I wiped it and installed Win7 - all good. Why not do it from the start? S10-3 had Starter on it, at least...

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]reggieray[/nom]Yes, buy all means buy Chinese made and owned Lenovo.[/citation]
YEAH, we much prefer the Acers, Asus, Apple, Samsung & Sony machines that are built in American factories by hard working Americans!
Wait .. what ???!!!???

Status
Not open for further replies.