[SOLVED] Gasket between fan and case?

ackoman

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Hi,

I've just bought a new case (Corsair 4000X), and I am very pleased with it. I purchase an extra fan to go at the back, and whilst not deafening it is definitely louder than the other preinstalled fans at the front of the case, and I am assuming that this is down to the way it is screwed directly into the case rear grille (other than there actually being anything wrong with the fan).

Is it a "thing" to put some kind of gasket to dampen vibration between a fan and the case? If so, does that come with any downsides?

Thanks,

jra505

Solution
Is it a "thing" to put some kind of gasket to dampen vibration between a fan and the case?
There are. E.g this one, among many,
amazon: https://www.amazon.com/120mm-Anti-Vibration-Rubber-Fan-Gasket/dp/B007Y5NS0S/

If so, does that come with any downsides?

None, other than you needing to remount your fan.

it is definitely louder than the other preinstalled fans

Not all fans are created equal and some are noisier than others. Here, i don't think you're hearing vibration noise, that you can fix with rubber spacer. Instead, i think you bought louder fan and/or run it at higher speeds, making more noise.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Is it a "thing" to put some kind of gasket to dampen vibration between a fan and the case?
There are. E.g this one, among many,
amazon: https://www.amazon.com/120mm-Anti-Vibration-Rubber-Fan-Gasket/dp/B007Y5NS0S/

If so, does that come with any downsides?

None, other than you needing to remount your fan.

it is definitely louder than the other preinstalled fans

Not all fans are created equal and some are noisier than others. Here, i don't think you're hearing vibration noise, that you can fix with rubber spacer. Instead, i think you bought louder fan and/or run it at higher speeds, making more noise.

Solution
Just a little piece of info - a rubber gaset would not help reducing noise if you use screws that directly touches the metal case and the fan. There must be a screw "socket and plate" (sorry I don't know the English term for this) of rubber to ensure the screw never get in direct contact with the fan and metal case, because then the screws itself will transfer the vibration from the fans.

ackoman

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Reactions: Aeacus