Gateway CPU Upgrade

CM-14

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2013
Hello, I have a Gateway DX4831, which came with an i3-530. I bought an i7-870 in an attempt to upgrade. I upgraded the bios to the most recent version and put the chip in, but when I start it up it fails POST and gives 1 long and 2 short beeps, which seems to indicate a video problem.... Both chips are socket 1156, so I thought there would not be a problem. The motherboard is a Gateway H57M101, which has a H57 chipset. Before I bought the i7-870, I did some research and thought it would be compatible with the H57 chipset. This is the first CPU I have tried to replace, can anyone explain to a newbie what may be going wrong here? I greatly appreciate any assistance, thanks.

twelve25

Distinguished
It should work, honestly.

Do you have the latest BIOS installed? Did anything else get bumped or unplugged when working on the CPU? Does it work if you swap back the old CPU (which will let you check BIOS).

CM-14

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2013

Thanks for the response. I downloaded and installed the most recent version of the bios from Gateway before I swapped the cpus and I am using the same computer now with the old cpu back in. I thought that it would work, too. That is why I am scratching my head on this. Would a bad CPU give that POST error code? I did purchase it used.

Just because you have the most recent bios, doesn't mean they ever bothered to update the cpu code.

Thats the problem with boards from the Big OEM's. This isn't DIY board where broad compatibility is a must. They can build a machine for one model with a bios that supports one chip if they want to. They don't care if someone wants to update the cpu. They just want to save costs. That thing would be a $40 board if it sold at retail, if that.

CM-14

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2013

That thought did cross my mind given the error code I was getting. I do not have a GPU, so that would explain it. I made the mistake of assuming the better chip would have it.... Lesson learned. I already returned the CPU since I had no clue what was going wrong and had convinced myself it was a chipset issue. Thanks for all the help on this, I really appreciate it.