gateway dx-4870 bios update gone bad

May 8, 2018
i recently had to replace the hdd on my tower. after installing the os and getting drivers from gateway support i noticed a bios update and figured to do it. after completing the bios update now i get 4 beeps and nothing, no monitor activity but power light stays on and fans run. any help with resetting cmos or bios would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
What you currently have is a nice paperweight since when BIOS update is unsuccessful, it will brick the MoBo.

You can reset CMOS as much as you want but it doesn't revert the BIOS version back to the one it was. What CMOS reset does, is that it reverts all user made changes within BIOS back to the ones they were once the BIOS was 1st installed (e.g factory default).

Sadly, there's no way you can revert back to the older BIOS. And at current point, you're looking towards new MoBo.
Only way you can "fix" your MoBo is when you physically replace the BIOS chip on the MoBo with another BIOS chip that contains older version of BIOS. But that needs soldering and you have to have compatible BIOS chip, unique to your MoBo.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
What you currently have is a nice paperweight since when BIOS update is unsuccessful, it will brick the MoBo.

You can reset CMOS as much as you want but it doesn't revert the BIOS version back to the one it was. What CMOS reset does, is that it reverts all user made changes within BIOS back to the ones they were once the BIOS was 1st installed (e.g factory default).

Sadly, there's no way you can revert back to the older BIOS. And at current point, you're looking towards new MoBo.
Only way you can "fix" your MoBo is when you physically replace the BIOS chip on the MoBo with another BIOS chip that contains older version of BIOS. But that needs soldering and you have to have compatible BIOS chip, unique to your MoBo.

Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I call that a life tax.

Never update the BIOS just because their one offered.
The absolutely only time you should update the BIOS is if it addresses a specific problem your having with the board.

A failed BIOS update is just a quick way to brick the motherboard.