GATEWAY DX4850-57 BOOTING ISSUES

Status
Not open for further replies.

WD2OGUY

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
I purchased las t April a Gateway DX 4850-57 desktop. It ran fine for a few months then a problem starting emerging. After an overnight period the computer would not boot after the Gateway splash screen. This an intermittent problem usually occurring after long periods of shutdown. Contacting Gateway Tech Support, I was advised to reinstall back to the factory default which I did this, they assured me would cure the problem. The next morning came sure enough again the computer would not boot. I tried re-seating all 4 2 gig Sim cards, and I did another reinstall and only added Norton Anti-Virus and Google Chrome no other programs were installed, this to eliminate possible startup issues. I was wondering if it might be the power supply. The computer only came with a 300 watt power supply and it has a dedicated 1 Gig video card albeit not the greatest. Doesanyone have any idea of what may be the problem?

Solution

illusio12

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009

illusio12

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Sorry, pressed wrong button :-(

to continue : check that the problem still occurs without additional memory installed, and also if you have added any other hardware, this may push the pc outside of the spec that the 300w power supply was provided for.

Clutching at straws i know, but struggling to see how to procedd when reinstall fails as well. Clarification of pc specs would help as well as any other hardware additons to pc you have added.

Good luck :)

Might have to replace CMOS battery or PSU. Either one could cause the problem.

Solution

WD2OGUY

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011

Yes,I tried disconnecting all periheral equipment less the wireless mouse. The problem persists, called Gateway and went over all the things I tried. They advised that, that was all they could do over the phone and to pack up the unit and send it in to their repair facility. They said because it was not booting into the HD correctly it was a HD problem. They said they would repair and return. To answer your queston, yes it is a Gateway DX4850-57 (can be seen on Tiger Direct website) It has an I7 processor running 8 gig (4 2 gig Sims) a dedicated albeit not the best Nvidia G FORCE video processor at 1 gig. It's speed is rated at 3.4 Gig.

illusio12

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Hi WD2OGUY, thanks for quick response, did not think to check other suppliers, apologies for that! Well, hdd failure is pretty bad and nowhere else to go but send back for repair.

You may consider, if possible, to create recovery disks when you get pc back so if hdd fails again, in or out of warranty, then you can re-install operating system your self to a new hdd without the hassle of sending back to manufacturer.

Good luck anyway :)

WD2OGUY

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Yes, well I have dealt with Tiger Direct and have found them to be very reliable with extremely quick shiping time due to the fact they are the internet subsidiary for Comp USA and have local warehouses. A very good company, they ship in usually 3-4 days and extremely good prices. The nice thing about both Acer and Gateway is that they include in their programs software, the ability to choose either a factory default Clean install or an install keeping files you may have downloaded. This was a super deal (at the time). like I said the only fault I found is that they have only a 300 watt PSU and do notinclude a firewire port which is important too me because I do alot of video work. Both of these will be rectified by me when I get the unit back. Thanks for answering me. I need all the help I can get.

WD2OGUY

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Ok folks, I have sent back the computer to the Acer Repair Center (also does Gateway). Further followups will be posted as to the success or failure of Gateway to resolve the problem as many horror stories of the repair center claiming to repair but only sending machine back in same condition but in fairness I will reserve those comments until that occurs. Specs are: I7 processor, 8 Gig ram 2x4, 1.5 tetrabyte HD,
running 3.4 hhz with Nvidia G force dedicated Video card 1 gig with 300 watt PSU.

WD2OGUY

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Received the unit back Gateway tested and said the unit was ok. It booted up fine for several days no problem. This morning I turned it on and it went into black screen. I waited several seconds and curiously I heard the Microsoft "start" sound but still black screen. It dawned on me the problem was with the monitor not the computer. I tried switching the monitor off and on and the monitor showed its splash screen and went on.
The unit was working but curiously with a window open. I went to exit the window and the screen went black again. I again tried shutting down the monitor and restarting the monitor and it worked and is working fine again. The monitor is an Acer 23 inch X221W and I have never had a problem with it up until now. Anyone have any ideas? Is it the way the Gateway boots or it a monitor problem? I don't have another monitor to check it against.

WD2OGUY

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Problem solved. I installed a 650 watt modular PSU replacing the 300 watt cheapo that came with the computer. The Gateway boots up and responds perfectly. To all that read this, please understand if you purchase an I7 desktop and if it comes with anything less than a 400 watt PSU, replace the PSU ASAP. This will save you in the long run. Thanking everyone who answered. http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/bounce.gif

WD2OGUY

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011

Yes it was in fact the PSU. The 300 watt PSU was a little anemic for the system it was powering. I replaced it with a 650 watt Thermaltake modular PSU and Voila no more booting problems. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.