Gateway DX4860 Optical DVD Drive Upgrade

Stars7

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
I need to install an Optical DVD Drive in my Gateway DX4860-UB33P desktop. I understand that the computer is a Serial-ATA system, so I ordered and have a new ASUS 24X Internal Optical Drive DRW-24B1ST. The Optical Drive did not come with a cable.

This computer is challenging to remove the front cover and install the new drive (Note, it does have a CD Optical Drive which came installed) so I need guidance before attempting it.

My guess is that the computer does have two power cables, so I'll likely need a cable for the drive. What cable do I need to order, and will there be a second connection on the motherboard for the cable or might I need something like a spliter?

Solution
You need to have an open/spare SATA connector on your motherboard, or, you can NOT install the new drive. (no such thing as a SATA "splitter" cable...) Only other option, remove the CD drive, and replace it with DVD...)
Well SATA data and power cables are two different types: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA#Data_connector
Does the old optical drive not use SATA?
Reviews of your model say it actually comes with a Dual-Layer DVD+/-RW drive.

Anyways, you can buy a SATA data cable at any local electronics store, it will look similar to this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812816027

Your Power Supply should already have a SATA power cable on it.

And it'll be extremely hard to tell you how to open it as I can't find any manuals online.

jb6684

Distinguished
You need to have an open/spare SATA connector on your motherboard, or, you can NOT install the new drive. (no such thing as a SATA "splitter" cable...) Only other option, remove the CD drive, and replace it with DVD...)

Solution

Stars7

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014

Thanks to you and James Mason above for your recommendations! This was what I needed to know, so I'll order the SATA cable. I had checked earlier, and the system specs show it is SATA. The CD drive number shows it is also SATA. The motherboard should have the second SATA connector as you said since there are two slots for CD/DVD installation. It has two more slots so you can install a second hard drive. I wasn't sure about the power cable, and I appreciate your answer on this.