Question Gateway FX6800-01e Motherboard

I picked up this system for a few bucks, just the x58 OEM Gateway Motherboard and the i7 920 CPU, I replaced one of the caps on the board though even before replacing the cap it worked, it just was buldging and looked like it was about to pop, but still had this problem.

Anyway the board has a problem where it will read all 4 sticks of ram I installed into it, it had 6 slots, 2x 8GB sticks and 2x 1GB sticks, Well half the time it will only read 2 of the 4 sticks, 1 8GB stick and 1 1GB stick, So I took out the 1GB sticks, and left the 8GB sticks, it will occasionally only read 1 of the 2 installed sticks, I've tried every and all combinations with 2 sticks and will still sometimes only read 1 stick, A simple reboot and they come back, reboot again then 1 stick disappears.

These 8GB sticks I have are Mushkin DDR3 1866 kit running at 1333mhz, I tried some Corsair Vengence 1600mhz kit from an AMD system and this board will still only read 1 stick of ram at times.

I've updated the bios to the newest possible, and whats on it now is a custom bios just to see if I can fix it, Other than that the system runs good, I just can not figure this out.

Maybe someone will have an idea to whats going on, Thanks!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
My old x58 board won't recognize a triple channel config, but all slots and individual memory sticks work. I think this just happens to them as they age. In my case, I think it was long term exposure to 1.65 volts that the fast memory of the time required.

My old x58 board won't recognize a triple channel config, but all slots and individual memory sticks work. I think this just happens to them as they age. In my case, I think it was long term exposure to 1.65 volts that the fast memory of the time required.

Yeah, This CPU as far as I know was never overclocked and even with software, you can't raise the voltage on this board, My Asus x99 Deluxe has a similar problem with 4 sticks, 2 sticks wouldn't read in windows but would in CPU-Z, I had to deal with that for months until Asus finally addressed it, This thing I just can't figure it out, No where in the bios allows for memory timings or channel configurations. Looks like im just going to have to reboot when I see only 8GB is detected lol