Gateway NE56R31U Wifi Not Working

derstrom8

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015
I posted this already but it didn't look like it went through. My apologies if this is a duplicate.

I have read so many threads with the same question but none of the results are working for me.

I recently had to install Windows 7 Professional x64 on my NE56R31U laptop. I installed the wired (ethernet) driver and am connecting via Ethernet without a problem, but Wifi is giving me all sorts of trouble. I've tried using the wifi switch (F3 button on this model--Tried Fn, WIN, and Alt combinations with the F3 key) but it does not do anything (The little wifi light on the front doesn't do anything). I installed wireless adapters (tried a couple and none of them worked) but had no luck. Here is my device manager (the missing drivers on some of the entries are expected--I just installed the OS).

2ue1i8h.jpg

I see the name of the wireless adapter is "virtual" but have no idea what that means. Whenever I disable the ethernet adapter, the troubleshooter keeps telling me I need to plug in the ethernet cable to get this "wireless" adapter to work. WTH am I doing wrong? This is a HUGE PITA!!! I have tried everything suggested here at tomshardware and at other forums and nothing works.

Thanks

derstrom8

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015
Ok, that was a stupid question. The driver for the Network Controller (shown in the "Other devices" list above as not having a driver) was never installed. I downloaded it and ran the "setup" from the folder, but I should have right-clicked the entry in the device manager list, clicked "update driver software", and directed it to the folder.