Gateway NV53 Display Won't Turn on at Startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

yevy0156

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
Hello, I am trying to diagnose a proble with my Gateway NV53. It has Windows 8 Professional installed on it, an Amd Athlon II X2 M300 processor, and 4 gigs of Ram.

The Problem: Whenever I attempt to start up the laptop, the laptop itself turns on, but the laptop screen won't turn on.

Things I have tried: At times the screen has turned on, but only after I play around with it. I have tried connecing and external display, but that screen is black also. Whenever I shake the laptop, at times it will turn on. Other times, if I jiggle the external monitor cable, it will also turn on. I have also let the laptop run for an hour. I shut it off, turn it on again, and it's fine. Now, it is turning on less often. I have taken apart the laptop, cleaned the CPU heatsink, and changed the CMOS battery. I got the screen to work after that, but after shutdown, I couldn't really get it the screen to work properly.

What works: RAM, hard drive spins (I can hear the needle moving), wireless adapter, CPU heats up (after standing for a bit, the fan begins to work faster), touch pad,
touch media buttons, speakers

Diagnosis: My guess is that the problem is the motherboard, GPU, or the BIOS.

Thank you for hearing me out! I really need some help.

Hammy_15

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013

Hammy_15

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
Am also experiencing similar problems with my Gateway NV53. I have connected the laptop to an external monitor and the problem persist, i have tried the HD in another computer and it works fine, the memory also works in other computers. My next step would be to check the BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS