Gateway recovery for Windows 7

Mark G

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
Hello, I need. help. My computer has had sporatic blue screens at the end of windows 7 bootup. The diagnostic tools will not run. Gateway recovery management will run, but when I select the option for a restoration, it says my hard drive is not in the factory default (and aborts). I'd like to just restore the computer--any ideas on how to reset the hard drive factory default or to get around this error?

Mark G

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
Yes, I have everything saved, but my computer didn't come with an install disc (resident as image on hard-drive). The gateway restore software won't let me activate this feature because of an error "hard drive is not in factory default". I think I'll have to order a reinstall disc from the manufacturer. I was hoping there was a way to bypass the gateway windows software and do it with a command prompt. No luck on any of these.
Really appreciate you tryng to help.

Have you gone to the support site and gotten instructions as to how to use the restore partition ? The reson I asked if it was a laptop is because manufacturers will make a hidden partition on the hard drive with the restore and repair software.
I have a Toshiba laptop and that's what they did with that and I had to go to the Toshiba site and get the instructions on how to access the hidden partition. Have you done a similar thing and gotten the instructions ?

Mark G

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
Brett, I would be very interested to know what tests run and what commands to run them. I can get the DOS command prompt and ran disk check though I never saw the final results--watched it in real time and it found and fixed one small location.

Any help would be very much appreciated....

Mark G

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012

Response: Yes, I have all the instructions, but the system will not restore when I select the menu option because of the error stating my hard drive is not in factory default configuration. I don't fiddle with such things, so something must have gotten corrupted. Just for fun, I'm defragging the hard-drive just in case that puts it back into some default condition.

Hi :)

As I always say... checkdisk is like a chocolate teapot...

Download the ULTIMATE BOOT CD then run a FULL hard drive test in DOS from that..BOOT from it...

All the best Brett :)

I'm wondering if this factory default condition means that the hard drive has to be in a raw state with no main partition but to do that you would have to either be able to get into Windows or have the Windows install disc. So that may not be it. But factory default does mean no data on it so it must be a format of the main partition.

Mark G

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012

Response: There is a 12 GB partition allocated at the beginning of my C-drive (everything is C drive) for the reboot which I'm able to see and it says that the sectors are good. This is the way it came from the factory and I can't understand why it isn't working other than somehow something got corrupted. I'm currently running windows and everything is working (except for the repair and restore features). i can access the programs and menus to repair/restore, it just gives me the hard drive error and aborts when I select them. I'm running a defragg right now to see if that may put the hard drive back into some type of default configuration. My only other hope was to run the restore directly from DOS, but I've had no luck on that. I'm not that savy in computers and when we talk about industry tools and downloading new programs, I get lost quick. I was hoping for an easy solution that someone had come accross, but it doesn't look like it is going to be that easy.....

Miguel Yup

Reputable
Apr 9, 2014
This how I figured out to get  around (hard drive is not in the factory default). MUST HAVE RESTORE CDS BEFORE DOING THIS. What I did is take the hard drive out of the computer. Format it on another computer and then click on MANAGE option when you click on my computer go to DISK DRIVES then on the hard drive that you just formatted right click on it and then select DELETE VOLUME. Then put hard drive back in laptop and use restore dvds to recreate the partition from factory. It worked for me but make sure to CREATE RESTORE DVDS first before doing this

TRENDING THREADS