Gateway Refreshes FX, DX and SX Desktops

Status
Not open for further replies.

HKH

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
at least the front of the case looks decent
would you really need 16 gbs of ram tho?
halving the ram and blue ray drive, the price around 1200 is quite ok
abit more expensive then do it yourself building
scraping the keyboard/mouse/speaker to shade of another 50 would be nice

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]Story[/nom]The SX starts at just $559.99 and uses Intel's Core i3 530 CPU. It packs Intel GMA X4500HD graphics[/citation]

If the system is using the new Clarksdale i3 CPU why is it not using the interagted graphics of the CPU?

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
If i was going to buy a Gateway or Dell or HP with an Intel chip i'd buy one with a I7 Processor, anything else is just uncivilized..............

Computer_Lots

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
I like how the DX "boasts" an Nvidia GT220 graphics card :)
Nobody boasts about that weak card. My much older 9800GT destroys that card and can be purchased for $60 these days. The GT220 doesn't belong in a performance PC at all. This is the problem with OEM PCs. They always load up a nice CPU and RAM but cheap out on the graphics.

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]megamanx00[/nom]And yet, I find myself not caring. Sometimes I forget gateway is still around.[/citation]
I thought they were gone myself. I wouldn't buy one myself, but it looks like an ok line of systems for average users to get.

I like that they have a model which comes default with 16Gb ram. That's a nice touch.

Ho0d1um

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
I can't believe they try to sell "performance" desktops with no upgrade options. Just a list of prebuilt boxed computers.

xc0mmiex

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
for personal experience.... the FX line is priced reasonably for what you get (usually better compare to its competitors like alienware, still no where close what you can build your own for)... however their tech support still sucks, had to sit on a phone for 2 hours to prove that an 8500gt is not a replacement for 7950gt

G

Same old crap from Acer under the Gateway subdivision.

Lousy to non-existent tech support.
No access to motherboard manuals - not even their own techs have access.
Messy BIOS updates - They can't even release an update correctly without someone else to fix it for them.
Altogether, their systems just aren't worth purchasing, you're better off building your own system unless you're up to the task of fixing all the problems that Acer created from the ground up.
The FX6800 series was a Tech support nightmare by itself, but ran great once all the problems were solved.

G

Can I get that FX machine with a 6 foot high spoiler to complete the ricer look? Shit would be SO cash.

mrmotion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
I bought the FX6800-11 and couldnt be happier. I purchased mine knowing full well that tech support sucked but knock wood, its running great and I got if for a hell of a good price.

mr_tuel

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
The last generation of DX and SX desktops from Gateway had crappy eject buttons. You had to press really (really) hard, and even then the tray didn't always pop out. I hope they fixed that, it will be easier for me to sell to people incapable of even understanding the difference between a monitor and computer.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Gateway (Acer now) are a bunch of morons for using people from India for US tech support. If people are going to provide tech support or any type of customer service by phone for US customers then they need to be required to speak FLUENT english, not just english since well over 99.999 percent of US residents speak fluent english.

Raishi

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
I can't say anything about their desktop line, but I have a Gateway P-7811FX laptop that I bought in October 08; it's an incredible performer for the money - on par with laptops that cost nearly twice as much, and despite being dragged all over the east coast with me and abused quite a bit, it's been pretty much flawless. I wonder how much of the Gateway hate I see here and on other boards comes from people who haven't owned one. Myself, I build my own desktops, but I wouldn't buy anything else for a laptop.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
I bought myself a cheapo oldish Gateway DX-4300, AMD Athlon 7750, ATI Radeon HD 3200, 6 GB DDR2 800 Mhz RAM, 640 GB HDD, with a keyboard/mouse/decent speakers, for $430. The power supply sucks, but no issues at all. Dunno what Techguy is talking about, I called support once to ask about the motherboard because some specs weren't listed, and the guy spoke perfect English, knew what he was talking about, and was very helpful.

I'd rather have built my own, but just didn't have the time and I wanted a cheaper way to get a legal OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.