Gateway releases budget servers

Phillip

Gateway releases budget servers

Gateway on Tuesday released new budget servers targeted at government
offices and small businesses.

The Gateway 9115 and 9120 servers, which start at $499, contain one Pentium
4 or Celeron processor and measure 1.75 inches high, so they can be slid
into computer racks.

Although Gateway is primarily known as a consumer company, it has maintained
a sizable presence in the business market. Approximately half its revenue in
2003 derived from government, educational institutions and small- to
medium-size businesses. During the Clinton administration, Gateway was one
of the more prevalent brands inside the White House, according to sources
close to the company.

While the company's merger with eMachines earlier this year will push
Gateway further into the consumer market, the Poway, Calif., company said it
will continue to invest in business systems. In 2004, Gateway plans to come
out with more two- and four-processor systems along with low-cost storage
systems.

The 9115 system, which costs $899, comes with a Pentium 4, an 80GB serial
ATA hard drive and integrated gigabit networking.

The 9120, meanwhile, starts at $499 with a Celeron processor. The hardware
is about $100 or so less than competing products from other manufacturers,
according to Gateway, although actual sales prices can vary by the
transaction.

At that price, the hardware costs almost as much as the operating system.
For the 9115, adding Windows 2003 Server costs $799 and Windows Server 2003
Web slaps on an extra $369.

With the 9120, customers can get Windows Small Business Server for $499 or
the premium version of Windows SBS for $1,199.

Both products will begin to ship in two to three weeks.

http://news.com.com/2100-1010_3-5205811.html

> At that price, the hardware costs almost as much as the operating system.
> For the 9115, adding Windows 2003 Server costs $799 and Windows Server 2003
> Web slaps on an extra $369.
>
> With the 9120, customers can get Windows Small Business Server for $499 or
> the premium version of Windows SBS for $1,199.

For shits and grins I called GW, told'em I wanted to buy one and
wanted to use it for a rack Web and mail server primarily (an ideal
Linux task). When i balked at the OS-versus-hardware cost, the
salesman never once suggested running Linux or FreeBSD. I tried every
possible way to get him to utter the L-word. Nothing doing.

TRENDING THREADS