Gateway SX2110G- can not restore in any way

Deborah D

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014
My niece got a GatewaySX2110G for Christmas 2012. This computer has been nothing but a paperweight since she got it. It never booted correctly, it spontaneously shut down all the time, just a pain in the neck. I went back and forth with Acer and Gateway for over a year, with nothing repaired or done. I finally ordered recovery disks from them, at their suggestion. When I try to run the disk, the first time it said, and I am not quoting here, this disk can only be used in a UEFI installation, please hit okay to restart your PC. I di that, and changed the boot to UEFI DVD drive. It tried to run the recovery disk one time, and now every time I try, I get the following error message.

Your PC needs to be repaired

File: \Windows\system32\winload.exe is corrupt or missing.

Error Code: 0xc000000f

You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media, etc.....

Press Enter to try again
Press F8 for Start-Up Settings

I press Enter or F8 and the screen flashes, but nothing happens. When I restart the system, it starts all over again.Once or twice, I got a screen that said

Your PC needs to be restarted, information is being gathered and your PC will restart momentarily.

I asked this question on the Microsoft forum and got the following reply..............

We would need to rebuild the BCD with Bootrec.exe.

Note: You need to check the computer manual on how to set CD/DVD drive as the first boot device in the BIOS.

To run the Bootrec.exe tool, you must start Windows Recovery Environment. To do this, follow these steps:

Put the Windows 8 DVD in the disc drive, and then start the computer.
Press a key when you are prompted.
Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then clickNext.
Click Repair your computer.
Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
Type Bootrec.exe, and then press ENTER

To do this, type the following commands at the Windows RE command prompt:

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
c:
cd boot
attrib bcd -s -h -r
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
bootrec /RebuildBcd

Once complete, restart the computer.

Let us know if it helps. If the issue persists, we will be happy to help you further.

I tried it and it did not work. When I try to use the recovery disc, it says, not exact, but" this recovery can only be used in the UEFI, please hit okay to restart."
When I go into the boot menu, it gives me the option for UEFI DVD drive. When I select that option, it goes to the Gateway Recovery, there is no place to select a time, currency, keyboard or input method. There is no way to get into the command prompt at all. When I click repair, it starts loading files from the system disk, then asks for recovery disk 1, then 2, then maybe it gets to 3. So far, it gets almost done and goes to a blue screen that say, " Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart, we are collecting some error info and then we'll restart for you." Then, when it restarts, it says," Your computer needs to be repaired." There have been 2 error codes, 0xc0000185 and oxc000000f. This thing is making me crazy, please help!!

Could be bad RAM, could be a bad hard drive. The system should have been replaced by the vendor, does not make any sense that they would not take it back for at least a restore if you could not do it. You should have posted this when you started having the issues so you had something to work with the vendor with.

I see several of these systems selling as "refurbished", is that what you got or a brand new one?

TRENDING THREADS