[SOLVED] Gateway SX2110G-UW23 will post but won't boot off of anything.

fragz4lag

Honorable
Jan 13, 2018
I was given one of these recently and it worked perfectly fine and it had windows 8.1 installed on it which was working. So I wen't about nuking the drive and installing windows 10 though it had to be done off another computer because it refused to boot off a USB and I had no burnable dvd's. I install windows 10 and it's working perfectly fine on the other computer. I put it in the gateway and it this prompts up a message saying, "ERROR: No boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed." I then began to troubleshoot. I try fiddling with the bios and that doesn't work. I check to see if the drives work so I put them in my computer, they work perfectly fine with no problems. I tried different sata cables, but that also yielded similar results. The closest I could get it to booting off anything was a windows 7 installation disk. The disk is completely fine and works in other machines. When I put it in though, it only gets as far as starting windows and then freezes up. The BIOS can see the drive, but that's about it. Has anyone have any similar problems or any suggestions?

Have you checked to see if legacy boot is enabled? Also try disabling secure boot. Both are likely in BIOS settings but may be under a different name.

Conversely, if the chipset predates UEFI. It requires installation media and boot disks for legacy systems (BIOS not UEFI).

fragz4lag

Honorable
Jan 13, 2018
I had to disable and also tried it first to get it to boot. It allowed the widows 7 disk be read, but it would freeze as said. I haven't tried your other suggestions, I'll try to do it and I will update you on what happens as soon as I am able to.