Gateway SX2850-01 compatible processor upgrades

Eleventy 49

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
I just installed a new processor on my mothers computer and now it will not post. I'm wondering if the processor I installed isn't compatible, I shocked the system, or whatever else I could have done wrong

Also, would installing the old processor work if I did mess something up?

turbolover22

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
That processor should be compatible. Are you sure you plugged the cpu fan into the header on the motherboard? Do you get any Beeps and is there a speaker plugged into the board when you try to turn on the computer? Any fans spin up?

Eleventy 49

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
CPU fan turns on when I turn the system on
No beeps, but there is a sound coming from the system (I think that's the HDD rotation starting)
I'm not sure what you mean by fans spin up

The lights on the keyboard did turn on for a fraction of a second, but after that nothing happened.

turbolover22

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I tried finding a good image of the motherboard in that pc so that I could show you exactly where the jumper is, but there just aren't any good pictures that are definitely of that board. To clear the CMOS basically you move the jumper from the one set of pins to a different combination of pins and hit the power a few times. There are usually 3 pins, with 2 of them being covered at a time. Then you move the jumper back to the original set of pins and turn it on and viola a lot of times that works.

From the best Image I can find (a very blurry one) it looks like it is probably towards the very bottom right hand side of the motherboard. Right below the big silver square heatsink. It will probably say CMOS on the motherboard right beside it.

turbolover22

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
You didn't have to force the new processor in did you? It should be just a simple drop it in with the pins lining up correctly and it goes right in. Then reattach the cpu cooler, making sure you have good/new thermal paste, and plug the fan back into the white fan header right next to the memory slots.

Did you buy a new or a used processor?

turbolover22

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
From a reputable seller?

Best bet now is to put the old processor back in. If that works then it is probably the new processor and not anything you were doing wrong at all. If that doesn't work then there is something else the matter.

Eleventy 49

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
Something is broken somewhere

I'm hoping that the cooler falling from the edge of the case into the motherboard didn't break anything while installing the old processor
Still won't boot. But it turns on?

Is it possible that I gave the system a static shock? If this is what I did, what can I do to fix it?

turbolover22

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
If you actually did shock the system there is nothing you can do but find a replacement motherboard. Best thing to do now is to take it to a computer repair place and have them look at it. There might be something simple that we overlooked. If there are bad parts they should at least be able to tell you which one(s) and give you a suggestion. If you have any friends/neighbors that work on computers that would be cheaper than a storefront business.

Eleventy 49

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014

Turns out that it was just the power supply acting up. Adding a new power supply allowed the system to work fine again.
Now I won't be getting my ass beat. Thanks for all the ideas, though