gateway utilities question

clif

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

I had to reinstall winXP home and using the gateway system disk.
After winxp finishes, a green and black screen showsup with a list of
gateway utilities(?) and all of them are installed.

Two of them "gateway desktop manager" and "gateway power config"
got installed but are giving me problems.

The desktop manager will shift icons on the screen about 1/4 inch
regardless of where i put them (icon grid is off).
The gateway power config overrides the windows power settings and
i can't find a way to change the gateway settings.

I have removed all gateway utils that i can find but cannot find these two.

Would anyone have any ideas about how to get rid of these two pieces
of @#$% and assuming i can lose them - will the windows programs for
these two things be re-activiated (i want to avoid another re-install)...

thanks,
clif

I always install Windows XP by booting off of the Windows XP CD
directly. I then use the Gateway Drivers and Applications CDs to only
install what I need, leaving out all the other Gateway @#$%.

clif <savagcl@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<HfadndqkEcfzEATd4p2dnA@comcast.com>...
> I had to reinstall winXP home and using the gateway system disk.
> After winxp finishes, a green and black screen showsup with a list of
> gateway utilities(?) and all of them are installed.
>
> Two of them "gateway desktop manager" and "gateway power config"
> got installed but are giving me problems.
>
> The desktop manager will shift icons on the screen about 1/4 inch
> regardless of where i put them (icon grid is off).
> The gateway power config overrides the windows power settings and
> i can't find a way to change the gateway settings.
>
> I have removed all gateway utils that i can find but cannot find these two.
>
> Would anyone have any ideas about how to get rid of these two pieces
> of @#$% and assuming i can lose them - will the windows programs for
> these two things be re-activiated (i want to avoid another re-install)...
>
> thanks,
> clif

clif

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

Frank Fussenegger wrote:
> I always install Windows XP by booting off of the Windows XP CD
> directly. I then use the Gateway Drivers and Applications CDs to only
> install what I need, leaving out all the other Gateway @#$%.
>

> clif <savagcl@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<HfadndqkEcfzEATd4p2dnA@comcast.com>...
>> I had to reinstall winXP home and using the gateway system disk.
>> After winxp finishes, a green and black screen showsup with a list of
>> gateway utilities(?) and all of them are installed.
>>
>> Two of them "gateway desktop manager" and "gateway power config"
>> got installed but are giving me problems.
>>
>> The desktop manager will shift icons on the screen about 1/4 inch
>> regardless of where i put them (icon grid is off).
>> The gateway power config overrides the windows power settings and
>> i can't find a way to change the gateway settings.
>>
>> I have removed all gateway utils that i can find but cannot find these two.
>>
>> Would anyone have any ideas about how to get rid of these two pieces
>> of @#$% and assuming i can lose them - will the windows programs for
>> these two things be re-activiated (i want to avoid another re-install)...
>>
>> thanks,
>> clif

Great. But, i don't have an original windowsXP Home CD. I just have the
Gateway OS, Drivers and Applications CD's. These two items (manager, power)
dont show up on the add\remove list at all.

BTW: Another question: I have the correct motherboard and correct
chipset and
a single SATA HD for using the intel application accelerator - RAID .
What is the
advantage/disadvantage of installing this software (driver?)?

thanks,
clif

When reinstalling with the Gateway OS and drivers you need to install the OS
first then right after put the driver disk in. If you wait and put the
drivers and such on after other programs, for some reason Gateway's drivers
don't install correctly. This is a known issue right now. In fact it
happened to me with my 200XL that I have.

Ryan